Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM   #1

scott

My new K20D is on the way, and would like to buy a long telephoto to use for wildlife photography. What should I look for on Ebay or elswhere? The new lenses only go to 300mm!

03-12-2008, 07:57 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by scottrender Quote
My new K20D is on the way, and would like to buy a long telephoto to use for wildlife photography. What should I look for on Ebay or elswhere? The new lenses only go to 300mm!
Welcome to the forums. Look for used Pentax or Pentax mount glass.

Depending on your skill level, you might want to buy only autofocus lenses with automatic aperture, you might be ok with a manual focus with automatic aperture, or be satisfied with an older lens such as the 400 in my signature which operates with only manual focus and manual apertures, and according to tests I have run, exposes best with manual exposure. Unless the f/stop ring has the A setting, you will only be able to use automatic exposure wide open, and the meter is not accurate, so you might as well use manual exposure. The k10d and k20d are well equipped for this.