Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Inactive Account

My Intro

My name is Jimmy and I love photography. I've been a musician for over 40 years and i could never find the time to develop my photo skills. Now I'm going to start from the beginning. Photography 101. I have a 1960's Honeywell Spotmatic with a super Takamar 1: 1.8 55 mm lens. I really love black & White. Kodak Tri-X 400 . I hope to learn from all of you. Any tips on the Sprotmatic will most welcome. Thank you, Jimmy.

06-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... nice intro and gear, checkout this forum - Pentax Film SLR Discussion - PentaxForums.com ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J
06-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! Nice to see someone wanting to learn via a manual camera.
06-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome Jimmy. My first SLR was also a Spotmatic (although it was an Asahi Pentax one) and probably had the same lens on it too. I bought it used in 1979 and it was/is a great camera. I also started out shooting B&W while I was going through the learning phase as it was far cheaper to process than colour in those days. I still have many of the lenses and attachments I bought for that camera and have used them on my later Spotmatic II and K1000 film SLRs and I plan to use them on a new K-30 DSLR once I can get my hands on one.

One of the big advantages you have over people starting out with a modern DSLR is that the camera is forcing you to learn how to take photographs manually, where the photographer has to make every single decision in terms of getting a shot. If you stick with it and develop your skill set then making the transition to a modern DSLR should be much easier although all those 'auto' features on new cameras seem far more confusing than doing things the 'old fashioned way' to me at times!

Larry

06-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if you can't find what your looking for just ask.