Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
A K1000 was my first love

Hello everyone.

Technically, my first camera was a Vivitar point and shoot. I can't even remember the model number. It was a piece of junk and I struggled to take good pictures with it all through college. Okay, part of it was me not knowing what I was doing yet, but I do remember clearly that I was trying to do things that were beyond the capabilities of the camera.

I finished college and rewarded myself with a K1000 and a Takamur 28-80mm f3.5 zoom lens. I did have a flash at some point but it broke and I never bothered replacing it since I have decided that I don't like flash photography.

That K1000 has been with me for 20 years and continues to be my go-to camera when I need something that I know, that feels good and right in my hands, and will not let me down. I've since gotten a more lenses, including my favorite one: an Asahi 50mm f1.7.

Very recently, my brother-in-law handed me his kit of a Honewell Pentax Spotmatic with a few lenses, including (if I remember correctly) a 28mm, a 90mm, and a 135mm. I've only taken that out on one test run so far. It had been sitting in a box for probably 20+ years and still even had film in it. The battery is solidly stuck and so there's no light meter, which is fine since I'm trusting my Sunny 16 skills more and more these days. It's holding up pretty well. So did the long-expired Tri-X that it was loaded with.

I have other film cameras (Zorki 6, Olympus 35RC, Lubitel 166B, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, Polaroid Land Camera Automatic 100) and I do own a digital camera (Canon SX130). The Canon digitals seem to be pretty good, but after finding this forum and poking around a bit, I am remembering that Pentax was my first love so I think I'll decided to stick to Pentax if or when I ever decide to get a DSLR.

06-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by limr Quote
A K1000 was my first love
Welcome to the forum, you'd best not let you partner hear you say that.
06-04-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good to see you appreciate the quality cameras of the past. I love them as well. About the battery being stuck on the Spotmatic, you will be able to deal with it easier if you remove the bottom plate it is attached to. Only four little screws hold it. Careful not to loose them. Once the plate is off, you can squirt a little WD 40 onto the battery cap, and perhaps try a hair dryer to expand the opening. Cleaning the contacts may well bring the lightmeter back to life with a new battery. As long as a 1.5 volt battery fits, it will work.
06-04-2013, 10:47 PM   #4

Welcome!

We share a similar history...had a Brownie camera, then a Vivitar 110 film camera - the ones that were less than half an inch high but about a foot wide. Then, a Pentax K1000 for years and eventually got the same Takumar lens and a world opened up (I have the lens still).

06-05-2013, 12:10 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... my first real SLR was a K1000 ... thanks for the intro and post an image soon ... J
06-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. I don't have a K1000 but it's one of the most popular SLRs ever produced. I have a KX that I've run a few rolls through and I like a lot.
06-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcomes!

QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
Vivitar 110 film camera - the ones that were less than half an inch high but about a foot wide.
Ah yes, I remember those 110 cameras well. I'd bet that if I dug around my mother's house, one would turn up (she's not so good about getting rid of stuff!) I hear that 110 film is being made again, though it's hard to imagine why anyone would want to shoot it. But maybe that's just me

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Good to see you appreciate the quality cameras of the past. I love them as well. About the battery being stuck on the Spotmatic, you will be able to deal with it easier if you remove the bottom plate it is attached to. Only four little screws hold it. Careful not to loose them. Once the plate is off, you can squirt a little WD 40 onto the battery cap, and perhaps try a hair dryer to expand the opening. Cleaning the contacts may well bring the lightmeter back to life with a new battery. As long as a 1.5 volt battery fits, it will work.
Yeah, I'm a bit of a dinosaur with my gear! I love the old stuff, though, both the heft of those metal bodies and the timeless sort of images they take. As for the Spotmatic, we tried taking the plate off. Might try it again, but that thing was well and truly attached. But I'm not too worried about it. I've got a little light meter chart and I even downloaded a light meter app for my phone (I know - I was supposed to be a dinosaur, right? ) and I use that in tricky lighting situations, but for the most part, I've done well with my own settings and a little bit of bracketing.

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
you'd best not let you partner hear you say that.
Ah, he knew that about me going in so he can't complain
06-05-2013, 08:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
The pictures in my original message don't seem to be showing anymore. Let me try a different way.

Here's the picture with the Spotmatic and expired Tri-X:

Here's the night scene with the Asahi 50mm f1.7:

06-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Your exposures are good, though one can see grain on the expired film. Expired colour film also shows bad grain.
06-05-2013, 07:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah, I figured it was going to be very grainy, but I think it works in this one. It didn't work so well in others. Still, for film that had been loaded in a camera for more than 20 years, it's not so bad!