Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 12:07 PM   #1
Forum Member

Greetings from Wisconsin

Hi all. My journey to Pentax K30...I gave up golf due to health reasons about 1.5 years ago and decided to replace with photography. Years ago I shot Olympus SLR but now I am much more able to afford it as a hobby that I can learn and grow into. Mirrorless fit the bill for me until I was volunteered to be our local Special Olympics photographer. Since the action is not super fast I was able to get by OK, but decided to add a DSLR to combine the Special Olympics action with my new attempts at birds (not in flight yet). So far I have the DA55-300 - I will shoot and learn with that (in good light) until the LBA and GAS take over once again.

Not only did my research point to Pentax K30 as best bang for my buck , but also what I have observed in the Pentax community...appears to be a good group to belong to and learn from. Amazing how each technology brand has different community characteristics - I am in I/T and see it all the time...I use the community to help choose tech in my professional life also. I shoot Pentax and Fuji, and drive a Subaru...and am not ashamed

06-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard - yeah, the fast action lends itself to more of a traditional DSLR.
That mirrorless might be good for video, though.

If you got the K30 kit with the WR lens, that will probably prove itself useful eventually outdoors.
06-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the form, interesting intro, now if you were driving an old Skoda you might not being saying the same thing about shame...
06-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh dear, the "Olympus" and "Olympics" had me confused for a bit.

As a former Olympus SLR shooter myself (and certified recovered zuikoholics), I didn't remember any "Special Olympus" - other than that they were all very special Then my brain caught up ...

Welcome on board, glad that we're now at least two former Olympusians here

06-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
lol...I wrote that intro quickly while working so I would be allowed into the marketplace. I am bad enough at writing so I shouldn't do it as stream of consciousness...

thx for the welcome

john
06-04-2013, 09:05 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
Hi there! I'm in Wisconsin (a bit north of the Dells), shoot Pentax (obviously, seeing as how I'm here on the forum), and drive a Subaru too.
Glad to hear there's more like me in the area!
06-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #7
Pentaxian

@ gumbee

Bonjour
from France and welcome to PF ... the K-30 is great from what I read ... enjoy and post an image soon ... J

06-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sweetfolly Quote
Hi there! I'm in Wisconsin (a bit north of the Dells), shoot Pentax (obviously, seeing as how I'm here on the forum), and drive a Subaru too.
Glad to hear there's more like me in the area!
Bonjour Sweetfolly,

Welcome to Pentax Forums ... enjoy as well and please post an image or two soon ... J