Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #1

New soon-to-be Q owner

Hello everyone,

I'm actually quite new to much of this. I've always enjoyed photography and videography, but could never afford the right equipment for my needs. I usually buy into technologies that I know will enrich my current lifestyle. Since I usually can't afford to pay too much for what I get, I ususally go for high-quality devices that can perform multiple roles and perform them well enough. I then learn as much as I can about the technology and tweak the device to achieve the best performance in any condition.

This is why I'll be getting a Q and not the Q10. Just waiting to get the body (and a lens?) at the right price before pursuing the lens I want. With the research, tweaking and practice that I'll be putting in, I'll be sure to have something to share with the community that taught me so much (I hope).

I prefer open source software for work and play and hope that darktable (darktable | the photo workflow software) or one of the other four programs that I found for handling RAW files fits to bill over Lightroom (which I have never used).

I do hope to get to know many of you and meet some of you in the real world.

06-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome - and you've made a good pick, the Q is a nice little camera. With the right approach you can get true art out of it (not me, I'm just a snap-shootter - but look at some of the other Q-photographers around here, they're brilliant)

The Q + the 01 prime lens makes for a great combo, IMO. I'd recommend a pol filter + a hood, also, relatively cheap accessories that make a huge difference.

Most importantly, though, once you get your baby, do share your photos with us here.
06-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the Q once you get her.
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM   #4

Original Poster
@tclausen
Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to follow them.

@kerrowdown
Well she is my Q(ueen).

06-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... good luck with the Q ... thanks for the intro and post an image soon ... J