Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #1

Newbie needs help with flash

I'm new to the pentax forums. I do mostly wildlife photography. I have recently been trying my hand at pet photography. I volunteer at the local animal shelter and take pictures of some of the dogs that have been at the shelter for awhile.
I have an AF360FGZ flash and a K20 camera. I need some basic camera and flash settings to use. I have no idea where to start. I'm lucky if I'm able to save half the pictures that I take when using the flash. Would appreciate any help anyone could give me.
Thanks!

06-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi,

Flash photography is challenging. Diving into flash photography can be rewarding, however I would strongly suggest you master the camera controls and relationships between settings (things like aperture, shutter, iso etc...) before throwing a flash into the mix. If you dont have the time and just want to jump right in and take pictures then if you put the camera in green mode and then set the flash to p-TTL, everything will be automatic and hopefully the camera will get the exposure right more often than not. If you are interested in spending (considerable amount of) time in learning the settings and using manual flash the rewards can be amazing. One places I think is a good start is David Hobby's Strobist blog:
Strobist: Lighting 101
It is very informative and a great intro to flash photography!
06-08-2013, 01:15 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, assuming the exposure wise all is good, the usual problem with flash at close range in the harshness, try diffusing it or using bounce it to give more pleasing results.
06-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Hi,

Flash photography is challenging. Diving into flash photography can be rewarding, however I would strongly suggest you master the camera controls and relationships between settings (things like aperture, shutter, iso etc...) before throwing a flash into the mix. If you dont have the time and just want to jump right in and take pictures then if you put the camera in green mode and then set the flash to p-TTL, everything will be automatic and hopefully the camera will get the exposure right more often than not. If you are interested in spending (considerable amount of) time in learning the settings and using manual flash the rewards can be amazing. One places I think is a good start is David Hobby's Strobist blog:
Strobist: Lighting 101
It is very informative and a great intro to flash photography!
@ oxidized - Yes, I understand the camera settings, no problem there. It's knowing which settings to use on the flash and what setting to put the camera on when using the flash.

06-08-2013, 04:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... maybe try some experiments at home in M mode with (and without) bounce ... most of my flash shots this way ... good luck, J