Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 04:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
new convert

Hi all,

I m a new convert from Nikon and a proud daddy of k-30. However, i have some noob question though.
My initial setup is k-30 and DA 50mm 1.8. While im still getting uswd to pentax color and enjoying how powerful k30 compared to d5100, i have this really annoying problem.

The AF in low light is teribbly slow compared to nikon d5100 n 50mm 1.8g. So slow it makes me think to convert back... just kidding, but seriously it s slow esp if my kid is moving. Compared side by side with my nikon iy s really far out. Anything i missed here? Lens is no good? Bad copy? I still got 2.0 firmware btw. Thanks for ur help.

06-11-2013, 08:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to this forum. AF is never the strongest aspect of Pentax. In my experience, Screwdrive lenses focuses much faster than SDM lenses. I personally prefer to bribe (3 minutes of extra swing or 2 m&m works pretty good) my kids to pose quietly.
06-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, super glue slows kids down too!
06-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the K-30 and bribes do work well with my kids ... J

06-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for replies n tips. My purpose is for candid. The question was if i got a bad copy or it is in fact slowish AF. Thanks
06-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by andri Quote
The question was if i got a bad copy or it is in fact slowish AF. Thanks
Pentax has a reputation for slow AF. I'm not convinced it is completely deserved as I have never found it wanting. But others do, and certainly you are not happy with it. I've never used any brand of DSLRs except Pentax so my experience is limited. And to be honest I don't shoot moving kids.

Are you using AF.S or AF.C? Are you using center point, 5 point or 11 point? Do you have AF assist light on? I only use center point AF.S and I'm totally satisfied with that. Maybe the issues are with other modes that I don't use. Try some of the other options and see if that helps things.
06-11-2013, 04:24 PM   #7

Original Poster
I use center point with AFS as well with AF linked to AE. I tried both linked and unlinked. No noticeable difference. My Nikon takes less than 1 sec to lock focus but the Pentax takes more than 1.5 secs hunting and locking. Having said that, it's under dim light, I have to try with the adequate light situation. What ive read that the AF speed plunge in dim light compared to bright. I shoot lots of pics under dim light which a reason why i got the Pentax. Shake reduction for prime For that purpose im very very satisfied. No more handshake blur. Any advice in regards of good prime lens under $400? Got the 50mm 1.8. Dun really know how that lens par with the rest, first time Pentax user here.

06-11-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, one thing to mention is that the AF system needs contrast to lock on. So with dim light there is less contrast and that makes it harder. When you are focusing try to be aware of that and put the center AF point on something that has contrast. So kid in solid gray shirt in dim light = bad. Kid in black and white striped shirt = good. You should be trying for the eye as the focus point but try to find anything that has some contrast to it and focus on that.

I don't have that lens so I can't help there but the lens does make a difference. I have an FA 28-105 that I really like as a light general purpose zoom but in dim light it is almost impossible to get it to lock on. Other lenses work just fine in the same light.
06-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yeah, i tried with contrast object, but that's not really my point since I was comparing both Nikon and Pentax to the same object. Having said all of these, I'm not saying K-30 is worse than D5100. It's much superior in all other aspects including in camera editing which is really impressive. For the same price, I'll pick K-30 in a heartbeat. I'm just trying to narrow down to eliminate this slow AF prob. It just really annoys me that the Pentax serve one purpose (getting shake reduction with fast lens in dim light) but comes another prob (slow AF lock in dim light). FA 50mm 1.4 is any good or Sigma 1.4? Any takes on these 2 lenses. Forget 77mm for now. $1200 here in Australia. Budget is $400.
06-11-2013, 05:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe 35mm f/2.4? Very inexpensive and from I've read well thought of. But other than that sorry, no experience in that area. I use da 70mm or da 40mm.
06-11-2013, 05:34 PM   #11

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by andri Quote
Yeah, i tried with contrast object, but that's not really my point since I was comparing both Nikon and Pentax to the same object. Having said all of these, I'm not saying K-30 is worse than D5100. It's much superior in all other aspects including in camera editing which is really impressive. For the same price, I'll pick K-30 in a heartbeat. I'm just trying to narrow down to eliminate this slow AF prob. It just really annoys me that the Pentax serve one purpose (getting shake reduction with fast lens in dim light) but comes another prob (slow AF lock in dim light). FA 50mm 1.4 is any good or Sigma 1.4? Any takes on these 2 lenses. Forget 77mm for now. $1200 here in Australia. Budget is $400.
I do not have the K-30 but you may want to ask in the lens forum because you might get a lot more feedback about the lenses you ask about combined with your K-30.