Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
hooked in SF...bad!

Hello all,

I bought a K-x about a month ago, my first camera that wasn't a point and shoot. Honestly, I was just looking for a decent camera to make stop motion animation films with, and I went with this camera after doing some research, never even heard of Pentax before then. After that first shot, let me tell I am in love with that little red camera! Haven't even started on my film yet, I just keep thinking of taking it out and taking great shots! I recently went to a photography fundamentals workshop and everyone either had Canon or Nikon cameras, but it was my red Pentax that got the most attention, not just for how it looked, but the pictures were better than most of those other cameras (I was using my nifty fifty).

In a month since I've bought my Pentax, I've purchased the following lenses:
Pentax 55-300 f/4-5.8
Pentax 50 f/1.4
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Pentax 35 f/2

Lenses do not seem to go down in value much, in some cases they appreciate, so I'm ok with investing in these before I get a new body, Pentax of course! Probably that beautiful red K-50 that just came out, but not for awhile though I really like my K-x

I've been doing a lot portrait shots of my girlfriend outdoors as well as landscapes. Not sure if I want to take it beyond just a hobby, but I was really close to buying a book about wedding photography!

When I get a chance, I will post some of my pictures for critique and look forward to making new friends here.

Regards,
Eric

P.S.
I was hoping I could get your opinions on a night photography workshop I'll be attending here in SF. Of the lenses I listed, which would you bring? We'll be taking pictures of the city skyline, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

Is there a lens I should look at picking up?

Thanks in advance!

06-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations. K-x is a great little camera. You are going to enjoy it.

For the night photography, Tamron seems to be the best bet from what you have. It's the widest and fastest lens you have with very good range.
06-12-2013, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Congrats, Eric.
I don't want to insert myself too heavily into your inquiry, but I do teach a night photography workshop in San Fran with another gentleman, and the feedback has been good. If you want other recommendations, pm me and I can point you to other workshops I know as well. Happy to help with some Pentax friendly instruction.
Be well.
Mike
06-12-2013, 10:43 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by EricL Quote
which would you bring?
Welcome to the forum, take your fastest lenses with you, that said with a tripod you can use more or less any lens.

06-13-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the K-x and looking forward to seeing an image or two ... J
06-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the response! I'll be sure to post my first attempt at night photography!
06-13-2013, 12:40 PM   #7

Original Poster
For other beginners, I thought this book was just fantastic, for photographers of all levels!

Tony Northrup’s DSLR Book: How to Create Stunning Digital Photography

I've read it a couple times already, but still find myself going back to it for reference.
06-13-2013, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome!

I was hoping I could get your opinions on a night photography workshop I'll be attending here in SF. Of the lenses I listed, which would you bring? We'll be taking pictures of the city skyline, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.

Is there a lens I should look at picking up?
Pentax 50 f/1.4
Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
Pentax 35 f/2
These. You could consider getting a DA21 limited, it's superb for cityscapes and night scenes. Other than that it depends on your shooting style.

06-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Welcome!

These. You could consider getting a DA21 limited, it's superb for cityscapes and night scenes. Other than that it depends on your shooting style.
Thank you bdery, not sure what my shooting style is yet, I guess I haven't found one

The DA21 is really nice, I'll definitely look into that! The shoot is just around the corner and was wondering, if you couldn't have both, would you get the DA21 or would you first invest in a light meter? It would be nice to not have to spend a lot of time trying to get the right exposure especially at night.
06-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

MikeSF is a regular here, and his night time work is really stunning (it's all pretty stunning!). If I were in his time zone, I'd take a class from him! Look at his work, it really is impressive. I know he posts quite a bit of his stuff on Flickr. Flickr: mikeSF_'s Photostream
06-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
MikeSF is a regular here, and his night time work is really stunning (it's all pretty stunning!). If I were in his time zone, I'd take a class from him! Look at his work, it really is impressive. I know he posts quite a bit of his stuff on Flickr. Flickr: mikeSF_'s Photostream

I sent him a PM, so just waiting for his reply

It would be refreshing to learn from another Pentax user, and yes, Mike does some amazing work thanks for sharing his flickr link!
06-14-2013, 06:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

if you couldn't have both, would you get the DA21 or would you first invest in a light meter? It would be nice to not have to spend a lot of time trying to get the right exposure especially at night.
Personally I wouldn't bother with a light meter. Your camera already has one, and at first it's more than you need. A quick test shot, an exposure adjustment if needed, and you're set. Night scenes are like studio scene : as long as you don't change the setting, the lighting is constant.
06-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Welcome. I'm guessing the first thing people say when they see your camera is "I've never seen a red camera before... what is that?" I get that with my orange K-x. Like you I've thought about upgrading, but this is working so well for me it's hard to justify (and I don't want to sell it).
06-14-2013, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

It should be pointed out that night photography can change from night to night and location to location depending on what you're shooting and where. I'd take that fast Tamron with you, but maybe tote the fast 50 as well. The 1.4 is small enough you can get away with pocketing it without too much inconvenience, and you'll appreciate that extra handful of stops if you ever find yourself needing that extra speed.

EDIT: Heck, you could probably pocket the 50 AND the 35 without much issue, I'd just take all three...
06-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Personally I wouldn't bother with a light meter. Your camera already has one, and at first it's more than you need. A quick test shot, an exposure adjustment if needed, and you're set. Night scenes are like studio scene : as long as you don't change the setting, the lighting is constant.
Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to see what results I get

QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
Welcome. I'm guessing the first thing people say when they see your camera is "I've never seen a red camera before... what is that?" I get that with my orange K-x. Like you I've thought about upgrading, but this is working so well for me it's hard to justify (and I don't want to sell it).
Exactly the reaction I get! And the look like it's a lower quality camera because it's not black and most people haven't heard of Pentax...until I show them that the quality of the pictures is right up there with the best of them!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
It should be pointed out that night photography can change from night to night and location to location depending on what you're shooting and where. I'd take that fast Tamron with you, but maybe tote the fast 50 as well. The 1.4 is small enough you can get away with pocketing it without too much inconvenience, and you'll appreciate that extra handful of stops if you ever find yourself needing that extra speed.

EDIT: Heck, you could probably pocket the 50 AND the 35 without much issue, I'd just take all three...
Thanks for the response! I'm leaning towards keeping it simple with just two lenses, the tamron and 50 (or DA21 if i decide to get it before the shoot). I'd confuse myself too much trying to figure out the best lens. It's going to fun, can't wait to post my results!