Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Australia

Hello, my name is Tim. I am from Brisbane, Australia.

I have always wanted to get into photography, and now seems a better time than ever. I recently was lucky enough to travel to Japan, and while I was there, I used the excellent exchange rate and general low price of electronics/gadgetry to buy a K-30. It came with a standard lens, which I'm not too interested in, and a SMC DA L 55-300mm f1:4-5.8, which I've been having a lot of fun with.

I'm very interested in two main areas of photography: Long exposure landscape (particularly dusk and night), and macro.

My next lens purchase is probably going to be the SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited. I'm also looking for a very heavy tripod. I'm a fairly well built guy, and weight doesn't bother me so much, so I'm looking at getting something pretty rock solid, but apart from that, I have no idea what I'm doing.

06-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums Tim there is a wealth of knowledge here . Don't be afraid to ask
06-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #3

Welcome Tim from a fellow Australian. There are a lot of other Aussies here who are a great help. One of the best, and unadvertised, benefits of Pentax is this forum. I have learnt so much about equipment and techniques here and my photography has improved because of it.

Have fun with your new K-30. It is an excellent camera without equivocation but beware, it seems your Lens Buying Addiction (LBA) has already started - it only gets worse from here
06-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by timbo Quote
I have no idea what I'm doing
Welcome to the forum, I dunno you've bought a fine camera and your next lens choice (15mm) looks pretty good to me.

06-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
Here's a little album of some pics I took today with the 55-300mm.

Not sure how img.ur works, but the pics look best when you look at them full size. They probably compress the previews.

Any tips or pointers would be great.

Photo Album - Imgur
06-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome Tim, from cold, rainy Newcastle.

Regards
06-13-2013, 02:39 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Welcome Tim, from cold, rainy Newcastle.
Cold and rainy here in Brisbane too. Nevertheless, it hasn't stopped me from venturing outdoors in between periods of rain for a few snaps.

06-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adinfinitum Quote
Welcome Tim from a fellow Australian. There are a lot of other Aussies here who are a great help. One of the best, and unadvertised, benefits of Pentax is this forum. I have learnt so much about equipment and techniques here and my photography has improved because of it.

Have fun with your new K-30. It is an excellent camera without equivocation but beware, it seems your Lens Buying Addiction (LBA) has already started - it only gets worse from here
Lots of wise words here Tim. Welcome from me too.

I too am a non-recovered victim of LBA...check my sig line...

And if they think its cold and rainy in Newcastle, and Brisvegas.... Try winter in the Dandenongs!! BRRRR
06-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the K-30 and looking forward to seeing an image or two ... J