Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #1

Hi from Macclesfield, UK

I have used Pentax since I ditched my 110 Agfa back in the 1970's. Love the feel and ergonomics. Prefer to all others, which is why I have stuck with. Migrated from a P30, through P30n to K110D and now have a K5. I also have a little point and shoot Optio M85 which I bought for my son, but now goes everywhere with me. I really like it! If I could see what I was doing with it (particularly in bright sun) I'd probably use it even more.

I use graduated filters a lot ever since I discovered how they could help balance the exposure of sky against ground on landscapes in the days of film. Old habits die hard. My Cokin P series adapter and holders still live on the front of pretty much all my lenses, much to the amusement of younger colleagues who, (correctly I guess), consider filters an unnecessary addition to their kit bag, having always used software to achieve the same results, after the event.

What brought me here, to the forum?

Having a spot of bother with a Tamron 10-24 at the moment - significant purple fringes (which I can get rid of pretty much in processing) and blurry edges (which I cannot) which spoil otherwise decent landscapes and left me quite disillusioned. Considering the Pentax 15mm prime as an alternative, or the 12-24 zoom, but my pockets are not too deep, and I do have difficulty justifying the additional spend (even to myself). Will it make that much difference? Maybe its me, not the lens..

Whilst researching and musing this quandary I discovered two things:
1. I am not alone, either as a Pentax fan, or having issues with the Tamron. Opinion seems a little polarised between - 'it's a decent lens' (for the money anyway), and 'its not' - i.e. will always produce blurry edges. I am now wondering whether my lens is a particularly duff one, hence I have emailed Tamron, to give them the chance to rectify and help prove that is the case.
2. This forum. My digging led me here, and I have spent quite a while reading with interest the many well articulated, clearly knowledgeable and objective posts and responses. I found these very useful, so thought I'd put my head over the fence. Any views, or information in relation to my search for a decent, 'crisp' wide angle (ideally capable of less than 15mm) lens for landscape work would be very much appreciated. Am I wasting time pursuing Tamron - should I just write that off and buy a Pentax, but if so, might I still be disappointed with the zoom, and hence do I need to go see the bank manager and start to stock up on primes..

06-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum and thank you for that interesting introduction.
06-15-2013, 01:35 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
If you want something low cost and are happy with manual then take a look at the Samyang 14mm...
06-15-2013, 04:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-5 and hope that you find the right lens ... and please post us an image or two soon ... J

06-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Calmsea Quote
I have spent quite a while reading with interest the many well articulated, clearly knowledgeable and objective posts
Welcome to the forum, well you've not been reading my posts then.