Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #1

Hi all,

Recently retired after 35 years in dentistry. Although golf is the activity that is first on my list, I just can't do that 7 days a week. The bones and joints won't allow it. After some deliberation, I came to the conclusion that photography would be a good diversion. Very little stress on the problem areas: B & J's. I first got into photos in '67 when I was in Nam. A Topcon which I still have, but why film when I can do digital at no cost for film and developing At any rate,after reading and watching online reviews of Canon, Nikon and Pentax, I recently purchased a k5ll with an 18:135mm lens.
I really love the size of this camera and lens. It fits well with my paws....... In the future, hopefully, I will be loading some shots for your review and comments. Although I will appreciate any input, please be kind! Remember I am just getting into digital.

06-15-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll pick up the ropes rather quickly so please enjoy your stay with us.
06-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I have my sights on that same lens so I hope it works well for you. Enjoy your hard earned retirement :-)
06-15-2013, 03:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
New Hobby

Hello Drgold, welcome to the Forum!
It's easy to be overwhelmed by the world of digital photography, but the basics of photography still apply. F/Stop, shutter speed and ISO remain the cornerstones to taking good photos. An eye for interesting moments and the timing to capture them is still a valuable asset.
I'd suggest you look around for a camera club or photo group in your area. Meeting and comparing notes with like-minded folks is very rewarding and helpful.
Also, a good processing app like Lightroom will improve all aspects of your photos, not just the finishing. A digital darkroom, with more features.
Good Luck and post some photos!
Ron

06-15-2013, 04:50 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-5 II and please post us an image or two soon ... J
06-15-2013, 01:46 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks

I appreciate everyone's input. Hopefully, I will have some pics in the near future. With the 5 Kll, I purchased the Pentax GPS unit with the intent of doing some Star gazing. I have never done this so any input is welcome. Of course here in NW IN clear night skies are not the norm. My main interest will be landscapes, wildlife and Macro.

Thanks again
06-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, aye photography is a lot less frustrating the a sliced or hooked golf ball shot.