Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2013, 07:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
New Pentax user

Hi all, I just bought my first Pentax (and my first DSLR) so I thought I'd register here.
I'm mainly a dabbler in photography, but I do love to take good pictures of flowers, insects, trees, nature in general. My main use for photos is as starting material for Photoshop/GIMP projects.
Before buying this I had a Fujifilm Finepix f50fd, which I have to say served me quite well considering that it fit in my pocket and cost me less than $200 when I bought it. But it choked and wheezed, but kept on going until it had a final fatal encounter with a staircase.
I was torn between the Nikon D5300 and this one, I do love to crop, so the extra resolution would have been nice. But comparing them in the store I couldn't resolve any more detail (OK maybe VERY slightly more) with the 5300 compared with the K30. The Weather resistance on the K30 sealed the deal. I don't intend to buy another camera for a good long while, so this one had better last. I got it with the weather sealed 18-55mm lens, I also have a very old manual focus telephoto that is supposed to be very good (Sigma XQ 200mm "scalematic telephoto"). Unfortunately I can't focus it to infinity, presumably because of the adaptor I bought.
Taking it around on my first day using the 18-55mm, I'm really blown away by how much more detail I can get with familiar subjects such as spiders and moss in the cracks of walls. I expect to take many beautiful pictures with this.

06-18-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll have fun - becoming familiar with the equipment is half the fun.

Keep an eye open for bargains on the different 100mm macro lenses if you like close work. There are numerous versions, and all are good.
06-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the K-30 now you've got it.
06-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-30 and please post us an image or two soon ... J