Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from Scotland

I have recently moved on from using Sony gear to Pentax and have been visiting your forum as a guest for a couple of months. I bought a K5lls with the 18-135mm lens and also a Stigma 10-20mm my main interests are landscape but I would like to get into portrait photography as well.I must admit I have been struggling a bit trying to get used to the pentax system but I think I am now getting the hang of it.I bought the K5lls after reading the reviews that praised in particular the image and build quality of Pentax cameras so hopefully I have made the right decision.
I was using the camera today and experienced a problem using live view the camera freezes with the image on the screen and will not switch off until I remove the battery. I was thinking it could be my fault somehow but reading the manual I could not see that I had done anything wrong.Has anybody any Ideas before I send it back for repair.

06-18-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. I am sorry I can't help with the K-5II issues since I don't have one .
06-19-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... my K-5 is great, and I have not heard of this type of problem (sorry) ... good luck, J
06-19-2013, 04:24 AM   #4

Welcome from London! Congratulations on you purchase. I have a K-5 with 18-135 and whilst it has a few limitations, they don't hold me back - I love it!

For the freezing - you could check if you have the latest firmware. Follow the instructions here to find the current firmware version and if you need to update, get it from here.

06-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your kind welcomes I will try a firmware update to see if this solves my problem with live view and will post a message if this cures the problem.
06-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Others have had lock-ups with the K-5 series.
When my K5 was new, it happened 2 or 3 times. It seems to be an overcharge issue with the battery - and only removing it will solve this. If it's any consolation, the problem disappeared after a couple of charge cycles. This is the first time I've read about it with the K5II series - which leads me to believe it's more of a battery issue than camera...though I may be wrong.

Welcome aboard.

Search the forum here for the lock up issue - the K5 forum mostly.
06-19-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome fellow countryman, there are a few of us in here now, I think your number six.
06-26-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Managed to find the problem with my k5lls freezing when trying to take shots using live view .The problem is a fault with my 18-135mm lens I sent the lens back to SRs microsystems and they confirmed that the lens was at fault and are sending me a new replacement lens .I would definitely recommend them for there first class customer service.

06-26-2013, 06:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo 56 Quote
Managed to find the problem with my k5lls freezing when trying to take shots using live view .The problem is a fault with my 18-135mm lens I sent the lens back to SRs microsystems and they confirmed that the lens was at fault and are sending me a new replacement lens .I would definitely recommend them for there first class customer service.
That is excellent news! I have that lens and love it, but it's always great to see a retailer taking care of a problem the right way.
06-27-2013, 01:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo 56 Quote
Glad it all worked out for you ... J