Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 05:07 AM   #1

Another Dutch guy

Hello all,

After being a long time reader, I decided to join. I started reading this forum mainly to keep up with all the Pentax News and Rumors, and the great lens database. I much enjoyed all the rumor topics which quickly got off track into a discussion about FF .

My photographic history started with a Pentax MZ-50 I got from my older brother when he went digital. After that died, I also went digital with a Fuji S7000 bridge camera.
After a few years the low ISO performance started bugging me and, as my wife's Sony DSC-H2 was even worse, we decided to upgrade to a DSLR.
After searching the second hand marked we bought a Pentax K100D, which was about 3 years old when we got it. For the last 3.5 years it served us well, but lately it is getting some issues.
The reason why I now joined this forum was to buy a new body and perhaps a few lenses. As prices in the US are way less then here in the Netherlands, it would save us up to €200 for a second hand K-5, and because I work for a US company and I have a colleague who travels back and forth every 5 or 6 weeks between the US and the Netherlands, shipping would not have been an issue.
But as i almost gave up on the Dutch Pentax market I looked one last time on Marktplaats (the Dutch Craigslist) and found a deal that seemed to good to be true, but was not.
So long story short, we are now the proud owners of a Pentax K-5 II with a Pentax DA* 16-50 2.8 SDM, Sigma 70-300 4-5.6 APO DG and a AF-540FGZ.
We already had a few lenses for the K100D, but the only one worth keeping is the SMC-M 50mm 1.7.

So I will keep on reading this forum, but now that I've joined I might as well post once in a while.

06-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
(Had je het NL forum ook al gevonden?)

Great story and very convenient to have someone smuggle the camera into the country. I understand the motivation behind it and you were lucky but normally you'd be expected to pay duty and VAT on a K-5 II - this may in future cause trouble when you take the camera out of the country and come back.

Anyway, now that you have it, enjoy and show off a bit so we can enjoy with you!
06-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the K-5 ii and please post us an image or two soon ... J
06-22-2013, 06:03 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
(Had je het NL forum ook al gevonden?)

Great story and very convenient to have someone smuggle the camera into the country. I understand the motivation behind it and you were lucky but normally you'd be expected to pay duty and VAT on a K-5 II - this may in future cause trouble when you take the camera out of the country and come back.

Anyway, now that you have it, enjoy and show off a bit so we can enjoy with you!
(Nee nog niet, misschien dat ik daar ook nog eens rond ga kijken.)

Thanks, and I know about the duty and VAT, that is one of the reasons I asked my colleague if she would bring it over, which she would. I did not know that it might cause trouble when coming back into the country, as they would have no knowledge about the history of the camera. But then again I heard some stories from guitar players who took their own guitar with them and had trouble getting back in with their own guitar, so I've should have known.

And I will.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the K-5 ii and please post us an image or two soon ... J
Thanks, I will.

06-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy the that new K-5 II.