Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Rejoined - Norfolk UK

Hi there

About three years ago I was trying to work out which camera system I was going to invest in and in the end I went with Sony and have generally been very pleased with my choice. I have been using the A77 and A99 for bird and nature photography.

Unfortunately I have develped an issue with my neck and shoulder and struggle with my lenses when they get to about 400g or higher unless I use a tripod for support.

I therefore want to have an additional system that I can walk and use without the need for a tripod.

I do not want to compromise on IQ and am therefore considering two possibilities:

Pentax K5 IIs with the15mm DA Ltd, 31mm FA Ltd and 77mm FA Ltd

Fuji XE1 with 14mm, 35mm and 60mm

Weight wise both would work (345g - 187g, compared to my current lenses in this range 665-520).

I am leaning very firmly toward the pentax option - everything I have read about the pentax lenses above suggest top IQ, speed is better than the Fuji option.

Before I take the plunge I really would appreciate any comments from the people who know the most - you who use them.

Thank you

Graham

06-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sorry can't offer advice re weight wise, I'm still using the fast and the heavy at the moment.

Someone will be along soon with some help I'm sure.
06-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, sorry can't offer advice re weight wise, I'm still using the fast and the heavy at the moment.

Someone will be along soon with some help I'm sure.
Thanks for that Kerrowdown - the pentax three lenses I am looking at have a total weight of 827g with only the 31mm just a tad over 300g. This compares with my three similar lenses (in terms of focal length) that I currently use with my sony bodies that have a total weight of 1745g with the lightest here being 520g. This is just too much for me now without a tripod. So, I know the Pentax system is manageable weight wise. Just need confirmation re IQ and focusing particularly in comparison to the Fuji option. Also, if anyone has alternative suggestions re three primes or even zooms that might do the job for me.

Thanks again

Graham
06-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Graham Holsey Quote
too much for me now without a tripod
Thought about using a monopod it might offer the support you need but with a bit more flexibility

06-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Thought about using a monopod it might offer the support you need but with a bit more flexibility
Yep - have one and ok when in countryside but not so good for around town and just generally out and about. I do not intend getting rid of the sony gear simply having an alternative system that I can use without the need for tripods or monopods, but not sacrifice IQ which is excellent using my current bodies and lenses. I did actually buy a couple of cheaper (lighter) sony lenses but there is a big drop off in the results. So need to find two or three light weight but good quality lenses plus body.

Thanks Graham
06-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... I use a K-5 and a FA 77/1.8 which is not heavy at all ... just weighed it = 1.05 kg ... good luck, J
06-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

If you are decided on using primes, they will generally be between 200 and 300 grams (unless you need very fast wide or tele lenses) so Iīd focus on the body weight instead. Pentax K-5 weigths 740g vs 650g for the new K-500 or 600g for the K-r (but you would have to buy used)

06-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
If you are decided on using primes, they will generally be between 200 and 300 grams (unless you need very fast wide or tele lenses) so Iīd focus on the body weight instead. Pentax K-5 weigths 740g vs 650g for the new K-500 or 600g for the K-r (but you would have to buy used)
Thank you Jean and carrriangas - K5 plus a small prime is what I am thinking. Next stop - camera shop to feel; what these are like in the hand.

Again, thanks.
06-25-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you want a small prime that is super light weight and a great "bang for the buck" performer ... look strongly at the DA 35/2.4 AL, or otherwise known as the Plastic Fantastic ... one of my favorites, see signature ... good luck, J

SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
06-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Jean - thanks for that. I am looking at the K5IIs with three primes which would give me FLs of mid 20s, about 50 and then around 100. Hence my thoughts of the 15, 31 and 77 which on the K5 would give me about the range I would like. Also, the IQ is important - I would rather get it right first time rather than have to buy again later. Hence my post on here - I really think that people who use these lenses on a regular basis are those that know the lenses best in "real life" rather than an artificial studio test. I would also seriously consider a two lens solution and that would involve a lens in the 30's and one in the 70's. Just which two?? Based purely on what I have read so far i was thinking of the 31 FA Ltd and the 77 FA Ltd. However, very interested in other thoughts - such as your suggestion of the DA 35/2.4.

Thank you
Graham
06-25-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you can afford the 31 and 77 go for them... Jeanīs suggestion whas based on the weight factor but the DA35 doesnīt stand a chance vs the FA31
Also, I think the 15 will be an excelent addition to the prime set.
You could also consider a DA15, DA40, DA70 kit which would be lighter, but as you said, itīs better to just buy right once.
06-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi carrriangas - thanks for that. All these pentax primes are much lighter than what I have been used to - hence why I am thinking of going down this route. I see the DA lenses are lighter than the FA versions but all are going to be OK for me weight wise. That just then leaves IQ. I will be visiting shop this weekend and feeling the K5IIs in the hand with whatever prime they have in stock just so I can feel the ergonomics. As long as that is ok - then it will be just the decision about which 2 or 3 prime lenses I will pair with it. Though still leaning toward my original thoughts of the 15, 31 and 77.

Again, thanks for advice so far.

Graham
06-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Graham Holsey Quote
I will be visiting shop this weekend and feeling the K5IIs
Wow... you have a shop that stocks Pentax kit.
06-25-2013, 09:27 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Kerrowdown - yep, called Wex in Norwich. They are very good. Will not have all the selection of lenses but will have well over half the different zooms and primes, plus all the bodies. What they do not have, they normally can get in within the week, if available in UK. So, I will be able to test the feel and then order what I want. They are also good with a seven day return policy - if you are not happy with lens or body (as long as no damage etc within 7 days they do not quibble). They also do on line - you can look them up.

Cheers Graham