Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Intro with a K-5 and a splash of Grenadine

I have been registered for some time but never did an intro. I am doing one now thanks to my K-5 surviving. We were having lunch and drinks today in Chicago, and my son knocked over my MIL's cherry lemonade foo-foo drink onto my K-5. Direct full on hit with a sugary sticky sweet drink to my camera and 18-55WR lens on the empty chair next to me. He yelled sorry dad it was an accident so loud that the waiter came running and everyone looked. I told the waiter and my son, don't worry I will just go rinse it under some warm water. The waiter went 'What?!' and said simply, 'It's a Pentax.' Went and rinsed it and came back to the table patting it dry. The waiter asked me how I could just go rinse of a DSLR and I of course explained a bit about the camera and lenses. Turns out he was an art institute student ...and now a possible convert. (BTW I have a bunch of film era lenses and I rarely use the 18-55WR. Today it called for rain and I did not want my bag with me at the Navy pier so I put on my only WR lens. No rain, though.)

06-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #2

Welcome and great story. Lucky about the lens selection for the day.
06-24-2013, 06:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
Now I have a problem. This evening I am looking at DA* and other WR lenses. I keep thinking, 'What if I had grabbed an old FA zoom instead for a day out with the family?'
06-24-2013, 07:41 PM   #4

Great way to convert...Shoot a vid of it (reenactment for the Art student maybe?).....

Better Safe than Sorry with the WR.

Explain the problem side of things more for a novice?

06-25-2013, 02:47 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... thanks for your story and please post us an image or two soon ... J
06-25-2013, 05:19 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, and thanks for the story. Water is one thing, but sugary drinks...

Last time I was down at Navy Pier was for a boat ride, and I took the K5 with 18-135, which turned out to be a good lens for an architectural tour.
06-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Apex Quote
Great way to convert...Shoot a vid of it (reenactment for the Art student maybe?).....

Better Safe than Sorry with the WR.

Explain the problem side of things more for a novice?
My problem now is that I want to go on a WR lens buying spree, and my wife may want to buy a purse of equal value for each lens I buy.

06-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard, and thanks for the story. Water is one thing, but sugary drinks...

Last time I was down at Navy Pier was for a boat ride, and I took the K5 with 18-135, which turned out to be a good lens for an architectural tour.
All the controls are working fine today. No water under any flaps or doors, the lens looks to be clear and dry along with the mirror house.
06-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard and a great tale too.
06-29-2013, 02:59 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Mcgerm Quote
My problem now is that I want to go on a WR lens buying spree, and my wife may want to buy a purse of equal value for each lens I buy.
Funny how that works at times huh? I just purchased some new gear and overheard my wife talking with our cellular rep about the new phones.