Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2013, 08:47 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello! Got a K-5 today.. I'm in Maryland.

Hi friends... I'm not new to photography but i am new to Pentax. (relatively).
I've done a lot of research and have wanted to get a K-5 since i first found it..
Also a good friend has a K-x and her photos are always stellar.. while mine ,after 2 cameras... still don't satisfy me.

--- My SLR experience:

- First i bought Sony A35 (translucent mirror, very cool, fast but NOISY high iso and SLOW long exposure processing).
- Next, upgraded to a Canon T4i (just 2 months ago! now i'm selling it, still wanting even higher quality photos)..
- Now i'm a proud owner of a K-5 body, and am researching lenses.

I'm a hobbyist / amateur and want no more than 3 good lenses..
Looking to spend around 200 to 250 per lens.. Any suggestions on reputable sellers will be appreciated.

Now i'm going to check out the Lens Test thread and read up on some Pentax glass!
Excited to be here.

06-27-2013, 08:59 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at the marketplace on this site and also check out KEH. Adorama and B&H also sell used lenses.
06-27-2013, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome - the K-5 is a great camera, as is the K-x.

QuoteOriginally posted by shark7 Quote
I'm a hobbyist / amateur and want no more than 3 good lenses..
We'll see about that
06-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote

We'll see about that
haha!.. thanks.. as far back as i can recall, i've owned a camera, i'm not really sure what to call myself.. just not Pro, cuz the only $ involved is the $ that's flying out of my paychecks.

06-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Look at the marketplace on this site and also check out KEH. Adorama and B&H also sell used lenses.
Thank you! I was just talking with my Pentax friend Tuesday night about KEH.
i really like that they include warranty.. Also noticed that KEH sells through Amazon too.
06-27-2013, 09:18 AM   #6

Welcome

I'm wondering what made her images "stellar" in your mind and hers not. If you find, after playing with the K-5 you're not getting the results you want, don't be discouraged - an honest critique from a friend (or if you want post them here) could make all the difference.

Most great photographers, or great guitar players or great anythings can pick up a bad version of whatever instrument is their choice and get OK results out of it.

Not trying to be unfriendly, or hard on you here, but I'm just saying that great equipment is only 1 piece of the puzzle...
06-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote
Welcome

I'm wondering what made her images "stellar" in your mind and hers not. If you find, after playing with the K-5 you're not getting the results you want, don't be discouraged - an honest critique from a friend (or if you want post them here) could make all the difference.

Most great photographers, or great guitar players or great anythings can pick up a bad version of whatever instrument is their choice and get OK results out of it.

Not trying to be unfriendly, or hard on you here, but I'm just saying that great equipment is only 1 piece of the puzzle...
Not coming across at all as unfriendly.. Thank you and I welcome critiques, advice and comments like yours.. Maybe stellar was not the right word, but what always impresses me with her K-x photos are the clarity, color depth, contrast is always spot on and close up detail seems better.. and that's with her kit lens and minimal editing.

I know now that the K-5 has better a larger sensor, better color depth and several other advantages when compared specs to the T4i.
06-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #8

Not coming across at all as unfriendly.. Thank you and I welcome critiques, advice and comments like yours.. Maybe stellar was not the right word, but what always impresses me with her K-x photos are the clarity, color depth, contrast is always spot on and close up detail seems better.. and that's with her kit lens and minimal editing.

I know now that the K-5 has better a larger sensor, better color depth and several other advantages when compared specs to the T4i.
True enough about the T4i...and I'm glad I came across as intended!

My nephew works at a camera store and he told me late last year that I should take another look at Pentax for digital. He, a dyed-in-the-wool Nikon shooter, was really impressed with the DSLRs they offered, and thought I would be too, given my film history with them. I was impressed, and still am!

I hope you get great results from the K-5, and that you post a few pictures here -- I, like a lot of people here, love to view other people's shots. I find it very inspiring.

06-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Reliant K1000 Quote

I hope you get great results from the K-5, and that you post a few pictures here -- I, like a lot of people here, love to view other people's shots. I find it very inspiring.
Thanks, i definitely will post here. I put up a small album of Canon supermoon pics but don't want to post too many non Pentax photos here, not sure yet if that's frowned upon.

Your nephew.. does he sell lenses? Sounds like he knows his stuff.

Can i post links here? ... This is what made me decide to upgrade from my Canon, (actually i still have it, since i bought a wireless remote and a bower fisheye recently for it) ... but if i can do better work overall, i always want to, you know?
06-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Also a good friend has a K-x and her photos are always stellar.. while mine ,after 2 cameras... still don't satisfy me. --- My SLR experience: - First i bought Sony A35 (translucent mirror, very cool, fast but NOISY high iso and SLOW long exposure processing). - Next, upgraded to a Canon T4i (just 2 months ago! now i'm selling it, still wanting even higher quality photos).. - Now i'm a proud owner of a K-5 body, and am researching lenses. I'm a hobbyist / amateur and want no more than 3 good lenses.. Looking to spend around 200 to 250 per lens.
Not sure about your photography background, assuming that its relatively new:

1. Get a hold of the basics. This book helped me the most:Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

2. I usually prefer to learn by trial and error, but I took a photo class from a local photographer. It was pretty reasonable and there is nothing like a hands on training with having to do homework and the pictures being critiqued by the rest of the class to get you going. It was just 4 classes one day a week with each class lasting about 3 hours.

3. Lenses: Instead of getting 3 lenses for 250 each, it maybe better to get 2 lenses of better quality. Not sure what kind of photography you are into. When I started out I would not have been able to really say if somebody asked me what I wanted to shoot [other than pics of the kids]. A great lens for the regualar focal length would be a second hand Tamron 17-50 f2.8
06-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
Not sure about your photography background, assuming that its relatively new:

1. Get a hold of the basics. This book helped me the most:Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

2. I usually prefer to learn by trial and error, but I took a photo class from a local photographer. It was pretty reasonable and there is nothing like a hands on training with having to do homework and the pictures being critiqued by the rest of the class to get you going. It was just 4 classes one day a week with each class lasting about 3 hours.

3. Lenses: Instead of getting 3 lenses for 250 each, it maybe better to get 2 lenses of better quality. Not sure what kind of photography you are into. When I started out I would not have been able to really say if somebody asked me what I wanted to shoot [other than pics of the kids]. A great lens for the regualar focal length would be a second hand Tamron 17-50 f2.8
Thanks! Looking up that book now.

I took a one day workshop a year or two ago but the instructor was not very good, i learned some things though and we had some 'assignments' on the city block at the end of class. (oh and there was no critiquing later)

Also my first experience was a dark room class at a community college. Since then, and as far back as i can recall, i've owned a point and shoot camera, and upgraded every few years.. until 2012.. jumped to (D)SLR now i'm looking to stop swapping camera brands and focus on becoming proficient with what i have. (well, what I WILL have) lol..

I'm mostly into landscapes, architecture, objects, animals.. have done at most 3 'photo shoots' for close friends (and we were both quite happy with results).. i seem to enjoy photographing people while i'm actually doing it, but it's not something i look for, i prefer sunsets and moonrises, parks and waterfalls, and the like.

Would like to get into Macro some day too. I'm not really sure what i'll do now for lenses, just know i'm not going to rush into that decision. 2 lenses would be great, let me ask this, do you have a preference or care whether a lens has the plastic or metal mount? I've heard pros and cons for each one.. also heard the DA has 2 more features typically than a DA L.

thank you.
06-27-2013, 12:04 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
This books looks excellent... i wonder how different it is (176 pages) from the first edition on the cheap. (160 pages).
06-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #13

Original Poster
This books looks excellent... i wonder how different it is (176 pages) from the first edition on the cheap. (160 pages).

Argh...i can't edit my posts yet.. book* not books.. that's going to bug me.
06-27-2013, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Welcome to Pentax! And glad to hear that you were a convert from Sony and Canon!

Metal mount is a nice upgrade from plastic mount and you also get the "quick-shift" full-time manual focus override feature. You usually also get a hood with the metal mount lens versions. Other than those features, if you want to save some cash, the DA-L lenses are good choices. Particularly, for example, with the DA-L 55-300-- a very good value. Although the more expensive DA 55-300 can also be purchased used for a reasonable price.

KEH is having a "free shipping" weekend right now, so you should check out some of their deals. Buying used equipment from Adorama and B&H are also good places to start. And also the Pentax Forums Marketplace!! Don't be afraid of getting used equipment-- if they come from a reputable,reliable source, you can get a real bargain! (Tip: KEH, Adorama, and B&H all offer 6 month (or maybe 90 day) warranties on their used equipment, and good return policies).

For getting your feet wet in Pentax lenses, here are my suggestions for 3 lenses that cover a nice range of focal lengths and aperture ranges, at around your $200-250 per lens price point:

(1) "Standard" Zoom:
DA 16-45 f/4 with hood, caps, $275 (excellent condition)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP07999069682J?r=FE

(gets you down to 16mm wide angle, excellent image quality)

OR

DA 18-55 WR with hood and caps, $125 (excellent+ condition)
www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP07999112174J?r=FE

(weather-resistance would go well with your K-5 body)

(2) Telephoto Zoom:
DA-L 55-300 with hood and caps, $225 (excellent+ condition)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP07999124703J?r=FE

(awesome image quality for a telephoto zoom of this range, but no quick-shift or metal mount)

(3) A fast prime for low-light shooting

FA 50mm f/1.4 with caps, $265 (excellent condition)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Autofocus-Fixed-Focal-Length-Lenses/1/sku-AP06009044142N?r=FE

DA 50mm f/1.8, new, $247
Pentax smc DA 50mm f/1.8 Lens 22177 B&H Photo Video

DA 35mm f/2.4, new, $217
Pentax 35mm DA L F2.4 AL Lens 21987 B&H Photo Video

(all of the above are excellent performers, and good values, the 35mm might be easier as a "normal" field of view but the 50mm is great as a portrait lens)

Alternatively, I agree with the suggestion offered above that instead of 3 lenses, you might consider pooling your money and get 1 or 2 really good zooms/primes.

such as:

(4) All-in-one Superzoom

Sigma 18-250mm, $399, new
Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC Macro HSM for Pentax K Cameras

(reviews indicate this is one of the best zooms of its huge zoom range, quick and silent focusing motor)

or

Pentax DA 18-135 WR, $379 (excellent+ condition)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP07999118842J?r=FE

(nice versatile range, WR, and silent focusing motor)

(5) "Upgraded" standard zoom

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, with hood, $364 (excellent condition)
http://www.keh.com/camera/Pentax-Digital-Non-Mfg-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-DP09999105202J?r=FE

(spectacularly sharp, fast f/2.8 aperture is constant across the zoom range)

Hope this helps!! And again, welcome to the friendly Pentax forums!

Last edited by yellowbrick; 06-27-2013 at 01:03 PM.
06-27-2013, 01:16 PM   #15

Original Poster
Wow! That's an awesome reply. All of these suggestions give me good feelings. Thanks for taking the time to post it and the links.

And... was just reminded that i actually placed a bid on this last night but didn't win it.. although i notice the 'bay' isn't mentioned above as reputable. (understandably)

SMC P DA 55-300