Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Greetings from South Africa

I got into DSLR photography about two years ago, when I took over my father's Pentax *ist DL camera, together with a 18-55 kit lens, an old 35-80 lens and a 100-300 zoom lens.

Since then I've been largely self-taught, buying numerous ebooks (starting with Bryan Petersen's excellent book "Understanding Exposure").

About a year and a half ago I started my photo blog, http://nevillespicoftheday.wordpress.com, and I have had a blast.

In the past year I bought myself a second hand 170-500 Sigma lens.

I will soon be in a position to buy a more modern DSLR and I am seriously considering getting the Pentax K-5 II, together with the 18-135 WR lens. From the reviews I've read, I should not be disappointed and hopefully I will see quite a positive jump from my old *ist DL.

I will be ordering it online from Adorama, as the local prices are about 25% more expensive.

Glad to be part of this community and hope to share and contribute in the near future!

06-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board.
06-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Neville

Welcome!

The K-5/K-5 II/IIs are excellent cameras. If you can wait, prices should decrease once the expected K-5 II replacement is announced later this year. Keep an eye on the Pentax Price Watch forum here for special pricing from Adorama, B&H and elsewhere, particularly on "Black Friday", which is the start of the US Christmas season (29 November this year). The Pentax Marketplace forum here is also a very good place to look for used equipment at good prices.

Gray
06-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips, Gray!

I see that you are a fellow South African - you are so fortunate to live in Cape Town, as there is no shortage of photographic opportunities there.

06-28-2013, 03:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... nice blog and let us know when you get your new gear ... J
06-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum.

From 1984 to 2004 I visited so many different countries I must think hard to correctly remember.
For many of these, I would have liked to stay there for 1-2 years, to learn more about country and people.

But South Africa was one of the very few I thought I could stay there for good - if it hadn't been for the measures one has to take to ensure personal security, which often really limits what you can do out of a sudden inspiration. At least if one is coming from a country like Germany.

My experience is from a 3 weeks work at a factory north of Pretoria - obviously quite different from where you are located. I was there in January/February 2002, installing and customizing a quality control system. The customer company had given me a car, so I drove every day about 70km from my hotel in Pretoria to the factory. The way back, sometimes at midnight, could be a bit scary sometimes, as I had to drive about 1-2 km through an area which was known for faked police stopping cars at night, and rob and nearly always kill the people inside. As I heard, the situation hasn't really changed since 2002.

I also remember that nearly everyone who heard I am German, wanted to to have a look at the EURO coins (the EURO currency had been introduced just 3 weeks before I left for RSA).

About the camera: Of course you can't go wrong with the K-5IIs. After all it's the Pentax (APS-C) flagship.

Last edited by RKKS08; 06-28-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: mistyping corrected
06-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome NevilleI Quite a few South Africans around the forums, it's a nice place to be if you're not out shooting

If I'm in your shoes, I won't wait too long before buying, they predict the Rand will fall to over R12/$ in the near future, which will not be good for any of us in RSA
06-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum Neville. You are sure to find lots of very useful info on all things Pentax and photography in general on this forum. I have over the years.

The K-5 is certainly a stunning camera and should not disappoint. Certainly compared to the *ist, the camera performance will be a massive jump up. The high ISO capability is really amazing and will make slow lens much more usable in non-idea light. This is a big help for the 170-500mm which ideally should be stopped down to f/8-9.5 for best results.

Depending on your requirements, the IQ and high ISO ability from the K-30 and K-50 should be very similar to the K-5ii and you get similar weather resistance in these bodies; but only you can decide if you need the features of the higher end body.

PS: don't forget you will pay a 7% levy and 14% VAT charge on imported camera equipment. (Lenses attract VAT only if separate from camera.)

06-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, how can you bear to wait for your K-5 II, we need to sit you down for a serious talking too.
07-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, how can you bear to wait for your K-5 II, we need to sit you down for a serious talking too.
Believe me, I cannot wait either - just waiting for some funds to come in...
08-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I'm getting close to the day when I pull the trigger and order my K5II and 18-135 lens combo!

But now I'm getting a little undecided...

Last night I had a look at the thread "Post Your K5IIS Pictures Here" and was highly impressed by the pictures posted there, and was wondering if I should rather get the K5IIS...

It's quite a big price difference, so is it worth it? Also, the Adorama site does not offer the K5IIS / 18-135 combo, so I would have to order it as a separate item, which further increases the price.

Decisions, decisions...
08-04-2013, 12:40 AM   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Good grief you still waiting, that's over a month since we last spoke.
08-07-2013, 03:50 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Neville Quote
Believe me, I cannot wait either - just waiting for some funds to come in...
Welcome Neville.
From personal experience, I can recommend Adorama's service.
The K5 IIs is great but, with the lack of the anti-alias filter you'll need to do more post-shooting manipulation. The million dollar question of course is: Does that matter? I don't know!
Regards,
Mark
(Ex Capetonian) (Actually no. Capetonian permanently abroad. You can never be an Ex Capetonian!)
08-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, the funds are in and out of my account - just placed my order for the K5II plus 18-135mm combo!
08-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

Enjoy when it arrives, you've waited long enough.