Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #1

hello from Nova Scotia

I have not posted to a Pentax forum before so I am not sure I am doing the right thing. My interests in photography are wildlife and heritage buildings. I have an older Pentax D10 and a little over a year ago bought a new Pentax K5. The first time I used it was on a trip to Ancaster, Ontario, June 2012, so I would like to post a few photos that I took there. I would also like to post a few that are relatively recent, from Nova Scotia. My object is mainly documentation, so my photos are just pictures of things, rather than photo art.

The photos from my Pentax K5 that I have posted are:
June 2012, two of a juvenile Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus) apparently not long out of the nest amongst reeds in a small swampy hollow beside the Shaver Family Cemetery in Ancaster, Ontario. Her father (I assume) was making a racket nearby, the warnings probably aimed at me. [One of these is at the bottom.]
November 2012, two of a juvenile Sharp-shinned Hawk (Accipiter striatus) hunting near our bird feeders, taken through the closed kitchen window.
October 2012, three photos for heritage use, of St John's Anglican Church, near Port Williams, Nova Scotia. It is a very fine classic example of a Nova Scotia "Gibbs style" heritage church, built 1810.

Two earlier photos taken with my pentax D10 camera:
August 2011, Another for heritage use, of St John the Baptist Anglican Church (interior), Poplar Grove, West Hants, Nova Scotia, built about 1860.
June 2010, Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus), male. in our garden, taken through the kitchen-door window.

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo   
07-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, please enjoy your stay with us. Nice series of shots.
07-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome!

I was flying over your province on a almost weekly basis for a couple of years, always wondering if there was life "down there" - seems that there is, and that Nova Scotia measures up as much more than a place to stick a diversion airport

Good to have you on-board - and if your initial postings are to go by, then I'm looking forward to what follows...
07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum from "Old Scotland".

07-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome. Nova Scotia's just south of Cape Breton, is it not?
07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
Cape Breton is the north-eastern part of Nova Scotia. It is an island, separated from the Nova Scotia mainland by a very narrow channel, the Canso Strait. The Strait is just 1km wide at its narrowest.
So, as you state, the mainland of Nova Scotia is south-west of Cape Breton.
I am further south-west, living close to the NE end of a long ridge that runs along the eastern side of the Bay of Fundy, near the village of Canning. Where we are, the ridge averages about 620 ft above sea level. We look out almost due west, along the Bay of Fundy.

I attach two photos, both looking from the house westward along the Bay of Fundy, one taken 6 July 2008 looking almost due west, the other taken evening 15 April 2012 looking west-north-west. Both are looking down and across the Bay of Fundy toward Cape d'Or, Cumberland County (near right centre across the first part of the Bay), and the south coast of New Brunswick (very distant shoreline on horizon, almost hidden by fog in the day-time photo). The day-time photo that is looking more directly westward also has Īle Haute toward the left side. Both were taken with my Pentax K10D.
Attached Images

07-02-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

A bunch of my staff up here are Haligonians and one lonely little Caper
John

Last edited by jac; 07-02-2013 at 06:37 PM.
07-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jac Quote
This Bluenoser is from the Valley, but his mudder is from New Waterford.....I see what you did there.

Welcome to the forum gc. Plenty of Canadians here, are a few fellow Bluenosers. I live in Ontario now, but spend a few weeks a year, dragging my family back home to experience the beauty of what I will always call "home".