Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2013, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #1

Excited and a bit apprehensive :)

Hello,

I am so excited as I have finally taken the plunge and bought my first dslr a K-30 So glad I found this forum as pentax seems to be a bit of a rare creature in New Zealand, but so glad I've diverged from the canon, Nikon brigade I had an old pentax film slr years ago so it feels good to go back to it

I went for a basic lens at a bargain price and now I need to use my savings to buy a lens or two... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers for now,

Sheila,
Tomarata,
New Zealand

07-03-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy both it and that fine piece of kit the K-30.
07-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello Shelia, Welcome to the Forum.
You'll enjoy your K30, it's a very capable camera. In a short time you will go from clicking 'pictures' or snapshots, to taking photographs. Yes, there's a difference.
When you say basic lens, do you mean the kit DA 18-55mm? If so, I'd hold off a bit on a new lens. Use your zoom lens as much as possible, under every condition you would normally encounter.
The reason? First, you will become more familiar with the controls and operation of the camera, less thinking and more instinctive shooting, always a good thing.
Second, when you start looking at your photos on your PC or laptop screen, you'll notice a natural tendency to view' things a certain way, you'll find a larger number of photos grouped around a certain focal length (zoom position), like 24mm or 45 mm. For now at least, this is how you 'see' the world through the viewfinder. When this becomes more apparent, start looking for a prime lens at (or near) that focal length.
You could also start noticing the EXIF information on photos you like, here on the Forum and other online photo sites. Check out what size and type of lens was used. Again, this is how your eye/brain prefers to 'frame' or compose scenes, your vision.
Good Luck!
Ron
07-03-2013, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Hello Shelia, Welcome to the Forum.
You'll enjoy your K30, it's a very capable camera. In a short time you will go from clicking 'pictures' or snapshots, to taking photographs. Yes, there's a difference.
When you say basic lens, do you mean the kit DA 18-55mm? If so, I'd hold off a bit on a new lens. Use your zoom lens as much as possible, under every condition you would normally encounter.
The reason? First, you will become more familiar with the controls and operation of the camera, less thinking and more instinctive shooting, always a good thing.
Second, when you start looking at your photos on your PC or laptop screen, you'll notice a natural tendency to view' things a certain way, you'll find a larger number of photos grouped around a certain focal length (zoom position), like 24mm or 45 mm. For now at least, this is how you 'see' the world through the viewfinder. When this becomes more apparent, start looking for a prime lens at (or near) that focal length.
You could also start noticing the EXIF information on photos you like, here on the Forum and other online photo sites. Check out what size and type of lens was used. Again, this is how your eye/brain prefers to 'frame' or compose scenes, your vision.
Good Luck!
Ron
Thanks so much for that excellent advice Ron. Yes I have the 18-55 kit lens. Great idea not to rush into lens buying I think... I will have enough of a learning curve anyway

07-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
Jon

Welcome. And congratulations on not drinking the canon/nikon kook-aid. The k30 is a very potent first dSLR to learn on. You should rest easy knowing you will not have to upgrade the camera body for a long time. As for lenses, I second what Ron said. It pains me to see so many people immediately buying a telephoto lens with their dSLR purchase. I can't remember the last time I screwed on a lens with a length over 100mm. If you get LBA you can always spring for an older Pentax prime lens, like a 50/1.7, or 28/2.8. The focus peaking in live view and the good viewfinder both make manual focus lenses a joy on the k30. Also, these lenses will be a lot cheaper (check eBay) than newer AF Pentax lenses. Once you know that focal length you love, (for me it's 35mm and 50mm on our k30) then spring for a more expensive prime lens.
In the meantime enjoy the awesome k30, and post some pics.
-J
07-03-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome,

My son's girlfriend just bought a k-30 with the DA 18-135 lens. She and I worked through a lot of choices for the last month and I encouraged her to go to a shop and try out all the brands. I think in today's market nearly any modern DSLR will give you good pictures, what is important to me is how the camera works and feels. After all that looking she came back to the k-30.

Hope you like it as much as she does!

There is a lot of information on this site, please do look around. You might want to take a look at the lens review section to get a quick idea of the array of lenses available.
07-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy your K-30 and please post us an image or two soon ... J