Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hello from South Oz

Hi there folks, I have been reading the forums for a while now, there is so much helpful information, which has been put to good use. I thought it was time that I joined. I have a K-r and have been collecting some of the older prime lenses in an effort to hone my skills, which are very basic at this stage!! I just love still pictures, and there are many great examples on these forums.

07-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you onboard with us.
07-04-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I sense your LBA is developing nicely there.
07-04-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy your K-r (like me) and please post us an image or two soon ... J

07-04-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to yet another Aussie.
07-04-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello and welcome from somewhere near to you. Adelaide based or somewhere in the country?

As you can see from my signature line, I've collected a fair sample of the M series lenses. It's an interesting exercise to learn their individual strengths and foibles.
07-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Southlander. I am from country SA, way down in the south east. You certainly do have a lot of M series lens. I have the M200 F4 which I quite like. I recently picked up a M100, but its a bit of a dud, very soft copy unfortunately.

07-12-2013, 04:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!
07-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, there's some nice scenery down in the SE (when it's not grey and cloudy!). Plus some darn good wine in the Coonawarra and nearby areas.

Pity the M100 is a dud. Was that the 100/2.8 and is it just soft wide open or through the range? I have the Macro 100/4 which is fun for close up stuff but equally good as a short telephoto. I got it from a Forum member from way up in the Canadian Rockies.
07-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Its a beautiful part of the state, even when its grey and cloudy!! Cannot fault the wines, some of the best in the country I think (cab sav especially).
Yes, its M100/2.8, the centre of the frame is useable in the higher range - maybe it would be okay for portraits? I am saving to buy 100 macro, any suggestions which one?
07-17-2013, 01:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Re the macro question, I find the 100mm focal length is great for getting some working distance between yourself and the subject. I find this better than the working distances provided by shorter focal lengths like 50mm. Less likely to spook insects or you or the camera shadowing the subject. Helps also with flowers that are are just a bit distance in gardens where you cannot just stomp around in the beds.
You will observe there are a lot of macro lenses made in the 90-105mm range. Some people use even longer focal lengths but these are serious tools costing serious dollars. However extension tubes with tele lenses with get you 'close up' if not 'macro' images easily.

Auto-focus is arguably not that important with macro as focus depth is so shallow that some manual finetuning of the focus target is quite possibly necessary anyway. If you have a M lens, then you are already familiar with green button metering. I think I am encouraging you towards a M 100/4 macro like I have - good sharp lens that won't break the bank, moderately common, and nicely built. Note though it goes to 1:2 ratio, not 1:1. An extenstion tube will give you that extra magnification though. 1:2 is challenging enough to start with though! An F2.8 lens is nice as the viewfinder is brighter, but the actual shot is more likely to be taken at F8-11+ to get adequate DOF, and the larger aperture pushes the price up.

Be cautious of the macro claims of zoom lenses. The term macro is used very loosely by zoom manufacturers - close focussing maybe but not true macro.

I need to do more macro when time permits - I'm discovering that good lighting is perhaps one of the key things needed to get good macros, and may need to invest in some lighting to really improve. Surprisingly though, even the camera's on-board flash can be useful - I just use trial and error to get the right aperture/ISO for the distance I am shooting - F11/16 with ISO 100/200 is a good starting point.

Back to your M100/2.8 - out of my M acquisitions, just one of those lens seems 'not right'. Looks clean, but the images are soft and lacking punch versus other M lenses. Annoyingly, it was one of the more expensive ones. I may try to seek out a repairer for it over the next few months - if so, I'll let you know the result. Rest of the lenses have been very good - good to excellent nick and image quality consistent with the reviews on this site.

I had a quick play in poor light with my M 135/3.5 a week or so ago. It can be frustrating with CA at times (partic in the OOF bokeh) but also creates some lovely shots as well when all the stars align. Common and cheap, I think it is a bit of a bargain. I'll post an image or two to this thread tonight: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/230356-no-love-135mm.html
07-18-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Southlander - good advice. M100 macro gets a good rap in the lens forum. I will keep a look out for one.