Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Pentax. Nothing But Pentax.

I've been a Pentax user since the early 70's.
Honeywell Spotmatic: Loved it and learned photography with it.
SF1: Still going strong. Great auto-focus and two zoom kit that I still use today. Simple to use and instead of getting into a gear-head mind you are forced to be a photographer! Thousands upon thousands of photos and I've taken it to the ends of the earth. If film hasn't become so hard to get on the fly and expensive to develop I would still use that camera all the time. Used it last in 2011 for a trip to Europe and the cost of film and developing (300+ photos) would have paid for a K-R. Photos, of course, were stellar.
K-R: My first digital camera. Just thought it was so-so especially compared to the picture quality of the SF1 and the SF1's single point auto-focus still knocks the socks off the K-R's. My K-R is for sale as of today.
K-5: Well, the K-5 is at fire sale prices as of this post and thanks to this site it sounds like there is no reason to get the K-5II at current prices. Thanks for saving me $400! I especially like the weather proofing as I spend a week each year in one of the dustiest places on earth. We shall see how well that works out but this is a universally highly regarded camera. So far the K-5 jpeg quality seems to approach that of film and the SF1. Definitely better than the K-R. We shall see how things work for the long run. In any event Pentax has always been the third way forward and and that appeals to my sensibilities.
Pentax Lenses: LOVE the fact you can use any Pentax SLR lens on the current cameras. Besides the K-5 kit, I use the SF1's F series lenses as well and they are wonderful. I also bought a 28-105 FA power zoom that I like very much and was really really cheap. Big surprise is that the K-5 works the power zoom!
I have a Canon pocket camera that is fun but for real photography it's Pentax IMO.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

07-06-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!
07-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF. I like your story
07-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, great intro, enjoy what you find on here.

07-07-2013, 01:31 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

07-07-2013, 02:17 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
I've been a Pentax user since the early 70's.
Honeywell Spotmatic: Loved it and learned photography with it.
SF1: Still going strong. Great auto-focus and two zoom kit that I still use today. Simple to use and instead of getting into a gear-head mind you are forced to be a photographer! Thousands upon thousands of photos and I've taken it to the ends of the earth. If film hasn't become so hard to get on the fly and expensive to develop I would still use that camera all the time. Used it last in 2011 for a trip to Europe and the cost of film and developing (300+ photos) would have paid for a K-R. Photos, of course, were stellar.
K-R: My first digital camera. Just thought it was so-so especially compared to the picture quality of the SF1 and the SF1's single point auto-focus still knocks the socks off the K-R's. My K-R is for sale as of today.
K-5: Well, the K-5 is at fire sale prices as of this post and thanks to this site it sounds like there is no reason to get the K-5II at current prices. Thanks for saving me $400! I especially like the weather proofing as I spend a week each year in one of the dustiest places on earth. We shall see how well that works out but this is a universally highly regarded camera. So far the K-5 jpeg quality seems to approach that of film and the SF1. Definitely better than the K-R. We shall see how things work for the long run. In any event Pentax has always been the third way forward and and that appeals to my sensibilities.
Pentax Lenses: LOVE the fact you can use any Pentax SLR lens on the current cameras. Besides the K-5 kit, I use the SF1's F series lenses as well and they are wonderful. I also bought a 28-105 FA power zoom that I like very much and was really really cheap. Big surprise is that the K-5 works the power zoom!
I have a Canon pocket camera that is fun but for real photography it's Pentax IMO.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
I like that story.
07-07-2013, 02:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-5 (I do mine) and hope to see an image or two soon ... J
07-10-2013, 05:30 PM   #8

Welcome!

07-11-2013, 02:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
welcome
07-12-2013, 04:20 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Welcome! I agree with you re the K-5. I trust you've seen the Youtube clip with the K-5 and lots of dust.