Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2007, 08:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Almost Legit

I did it!

After a few weeks of exploring, researching and lurking on this board I finally did it. I made the call and bought myself a K10D!

I took the plunge and called Cameta Camera. They put together a custom package for me and it should be here by the end of the coming week. They seemed to have the best price (if you ignore Broadway Camera). I did save some money over buying each piece indivdually.

Now of course comes the waiting. I will try not to think too much about it, other than reading the manual online and trying to get ready for my newest toy.

Strangley enough, before I bought the K10D this weekend I ended up buying a Canon AE1 off of eBay for my partner.

I did a quick count of the household and we now have or will have a total of 8 cameras spread across 4 makers. Not much by some standards but an all time high here. Although I do love my Minolta film camera I can't see me going back to film any time soon. Been thinking of putting together a photography display on a bookshelf. An homage to the film days of my youth. Bulk loaders, film canisters, homemade filters, different bodies and lenses, gray cards, notebooks etc etc etc. I seemed to have picked up a lot of little odds and ends over the years. Can't remember where but somewhere I picked up a whole box of flash attachements. They went on some type of old style cameras, they have shiney aluminum fans that unfurl to reveal a socket for a flash bulb. I have dim memories of my parents using something like that. Must have been why I picked them up because I never used them. But a few would look nice in a display.

Enough of the ramble I guess.

Just wanted to share with the board that I will soon be able to post my own Pentax photography. If anybody wants to look at some of my non-Pentax stuff before that you can go here - Flickr: Photos from tjhallett1

Last edited by THAN THE SWORD; 01-13-2007 at 09:59 PM.
01-13-2007, 08:56 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
that is great!

I think you will be happy with your purchase.
What lens did you get?
sounds like you are going to do a lot of "prep" work before it gets here

let us know how you make out,

cheers

randy
01-14-2007, 07:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Love the Santa pic!
01-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice pictures. I liked that Santa photo as well! When will we start seeing some photos from your Pentax?

01-14-2007, 02:56 PM   #5

Original Poster
Alvin -

I figure about a week or two after the K10D shows up I will post a few pics. Might take me that long to get comfortable using it.

Or I might just post the first out of focus shot of my feet as a monument to my impatience.

The Santa pic is fun. But I don't know why people seem to pick that one out.

I looked at your shots and am jealous of the lightning strike. I have tried to capture such a shot but have never been in the right place.
01-14-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Than the Sword -

About the Santa pic, I guess everybody is so used to (or tired of) seeing Santa on a rooftop, or with his reindeer or elves. Seeing him beside train tracks and walking put Mr. Claus out of his element and is quite different. I found it amusing.

Thanks for the comment about the lightning. I try to stay by the window during every storm, shooting a ton of empty sky with hopes that a bolt will fill one of the frames. So far I've caught two within 3 years, but I'm hoping to improve with the continuous shooting capability of the K100D.

Hope you get an opportunity to try and have better luck than me, but I'll tell you, it gets frustrating, but at the same time, addictive. One tip, make sure you remove all light sources from the room (eg. the lights are out and doors closed) or you'll get glare from your window (if you look closely at the lower right of the pic, hey - it's my laptop computer screen - lol!)
01-14-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
Than the Sword -

About the Santa pic, I guess everybody is so used to (or tired of) seeing Santa on a rooftop, or with his reindeer or elves. Seeing him beside train tracks and walking put Mr. Claus out of his element and is quite different. I found it amusing.

Thanks for the comment about the lightning. I try to stay by the window during every storm, shooting a ton of empty sky with hopes that a bolt will fill one of the frames. So far I've caught two within 3 years, but I'm hoping to improve with the continuous shooting capability of the K100D.

Hope you get an opportunity to try and have better luck than me, but I'll tell you, it gets frustrating, but at the same time, addictive. One tip, make sure you remove all light sources from the room (eg. the lights are out and doors closed) or you'll get glare from your window (if you look closely at the lower right of the pic, hey - it's my laptop computer screen - lol!)

hey alvin

great job on the website and what makes it better.... you used your own code to do it?

I really like the lightning photo as well. Is there any way to make them bigger?

thanks

randy
01-15-2007, 06:25 PM   #8

Original Poster
OK, came home tonight and found an email from Cameta.

My order has been shipped and I have the tracking number.

Now, the waiting begins in ernest. Does everyone feel like this?

Is is just me or does it feel like Christmas again and I'm 11 once more?

I never stayed up before Christmas morning reading the manual for my toys though.... Does that denote a certain amount of maturity? Or a second childhood?

Flickr: Photos from tjhallett1

01-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THAN THE SWORD Quote

I never stayed up before Christmas morning reading the manual for my toys though.... Does that denote a certain amount of maturity? Or a second childhood?

Oh, you are not alone!

I got my bank loan before xmas and thought to myself this (gift to myself) K10 is REALLY the only material xmas present I want this year. It felt like when I used to get up at 4:30 in the morning xmas day when I was 8 years old!!
It did come in a couple of weeks before xmas, but the feeling of having everything I wanted never went away.
To this day I am very happy with my purchase and am glad I spent the extra dollars on a good lens. I am thankful for holding out all these years for a 10mp pentax DSLR.

randy
01-15-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was doing this for weeks after I saved up my first $300 to get my camera. You're not alone, my friend
01-15-2007, 09:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipchuck Quote
hey alvin

great job on the website and what makes it better.... you used your own code to do it?

I really like the lightning photo as well. Is there any way to make them bigger?

thanks

randy
Thanks, Slip. That photo is a 2MP original and unfortunately only the bolt is sharp. The best size print for this is a 4x6 . I'll see how much bigger I can make it on my site though - I'm renovating it to put in more pics of Mississauga. Oh dear, more City Hall and Square One again? lol I need to get out more - Gene could probably show me a few good places around my own town!

By the Sword - don't mean to take any of your thunder from your welcome here
01-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I didnt wait that long as I picked it up locally (though the wait from the time the shop called me @ 11:00 am to the time I could go for my lunch break, and the short 1 stop train ride + 5 minute walk was a killer, and obviously, the rest of the work day and the 45 + minute train ride home was even worse....)

that weekend though, after the first k10's were sold in the west, and frantically looking for one here in NY was also bad.....

you'll get your's soon enough, and it will be fun...and well worth the wait
01-18-2007, 07:53 PM   #13

Original Poster
OK, its here.

Came home tonight and found this huge box from Cameta. They promised me the camera by the 19th and it arrived a day early. The grip is on back order (found out by looking at the invoice) But thats a small thing as long as it does arrive.

Tried my best to take my time unboxing it. Charged the battery and read as much as I could. Had to take a break and unwind for a minute.

It is a very good looking camera, especially with the 70 - 300 on it.

Now the real fun begins - learning the menus and becoming comfortable with all the new technology (sp?) Got to get into it fast because I think I committed to a job for next weekend. I was busy/distracted and said I would shoot a workshop or something. Can not dissappoint her...

Back to the new toy, I mean tool.......

01-18-2007, 08:21 PM   #14
Site Supporter

OK, its here.

Came home tonight and found this huge box from Cameta. They promised me the camera by the 19th and it arrived a day early. The grip is on back order (found out by looking at the invoice) But thats a small thing as long as it does arrive.

Tried my best to take my time unboxing it. Charged the battery and read as much as I could. Had to take a break and unwind for a minute.

It is a very good looking camera, especially with the 70 - 300 on it.

Now the real fun begins - learning the menus and becoming comfortable with all the new technology (sp?) Got to get into it fast because I think I committed to a job for next weekend. I was busy/distracted and said I would shoot a workshop or something. Can not dissappoint her...

Back to the new toy, I mean tool.......

great news!
I think you are going to love the grip when it comes as well.
I put it on as soon as my k10 arrived. took it off a couple of weeks later to change the internal battery and thought I would take a couple of shots without it.
man, I missed it so much I put it right back on. I really liked being able to hold it better at the bottom of the camera better with the grip
worth every penny to me.

looking forward to some of your shots....

cheers

randy
01-19-2007, 06:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

OK, its here.
YAY! I went through your site again. How'd you take the Merry-go-round shot?

QuoteQuote:
Nice! I don't know how I get myself in those situations too. New piece of equipment and barely any time to learn it