Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #1

hey there-

making the move from old system (but one I liked) to here. in my mind it's an upgrade with, moving from oly. any way I've been over the site for about a month and really like what I see. thanks for the unknown help you've already supplied.

07-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board.
07-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
welcome

Welcome! ...
I feel like i know you from somewhere...
Have a great time here, everyone i've interacted with so far has proven to be very helpful, knowledgeable and quite friendly. You'll fit right in.

Make sure to check out the Pentax Lens Reviews section if you haven't already.. before buying lenses.. very helpful info.
Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
07-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

welcome

07-13-2013, 01:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

hey there-

QuoteOriginally posted by rdblader Quote
making the move from old system (but one I liked) to here. in my mind it's an upgrade with, moving from oly. any way I've been over the site for about a month and really like what I see. thanks for the unknown help you've already supplied.
You're saying that you're moving from Oly(mpus) to Pentax? A kindred spirit, I used to be an Olympus user too, until they had shown so much disrespect for their SLR users (OM 707 - really, that's the best you can do, and all you're going to do?) that I jumped ship. As I've said repeatedly, when I jumped, I jumped for the lenses (specifically, the 31/1.8) - and took the camera bodies that'd fit on the back end of those

Pentax makes great lenses (and a few inexplicably crappy ones - to steer clear of), and quite good bodies too (although I wish they'd hire Maitani-san's reincarnation to design their bodies).
07-13-2013, 04:17 AM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
You're saying that you're moving from Oly(mpus) to Pentax? A kindred spirit, I used to be an Olympus user too, until they had shown so much disrespect for their SLR users (OM 707 - really, that's the best you can do, and all you're going to do?) that I jumped ship. As I've said repeatedly, when I jumped, I jumped for the lenses (specifically, the 31/1.8) - and took the camera bodies that'd fit on the back end of those

Pentax makes great lenses (and a few inexplicably crappy ones - to steer clear of), and quite good bodies too (although I wish they'd hire Maitani-san's reincarnation to design their bodies).
ain't it the truth! I figured there were a few of us here. let me ask you, i'm a landscape ,nature shooter. any advise on lenses for and maybe more importantly, to stay away from? with an e-3, I liked oly's lenses that I have, so it's a little research to get a sense of what would work again. thanks for the sentiments. traumatic might be too severe a word, but its nice to know there are others like me!
07-13-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

thanks for the unknown help you've already supplied
Welcome to the forum, as long as you don't hold us responsible for the amount of money your about to spend.
07-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

ain't it the truth! I figured there were a few of us here. let me ask you, i'm a landscape ,nature shooter. any advise on lenses for and maybe more importantly, to stay away from? with an e-3, I liked oly's lenses that I have, so it's a little research to get a sense of what would work again. thanks for the sentiments. traumatic might be too severe a word, but its nice to know there are others like me!
Well, if you're a landscape photographer, of the kind who'd use the venerable Zuiko 21/2.0 - then Pentax has actually made an almost perfect replacement in the DA 15mm Ltd lens (albeit a teeny bit slower, it's perfect in every other respect, and even more flare resistant than the 21/2.0). And, regardless of what kind of photographer you are, coming from the venerable world of Zuiko lenses, you will want the FA 31mm Ltd lens also - it is, by far, my most used lens - it surpasses by a long stretch even the Zuiko 50/1.2....I'm also a great fan of the DA*55/1.4, it reminds me of my old friend, the Zuiko 85/2, except being faster and rendering even better.....

As for stuff to stay away from....well, I am not well versed in older Pentax lenses, but from among the currently manufactured lenses I've had nothing but disappointments from the "AL" lenses - those I've seen have been close to useless as camera lenses. I'm sure that someone will chime in with positive experiences with the "AL" lenses, but so far I've had none so that's to be wary of, I'd say.