Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hello all out there

Hello,
I'm very new to Pentax and only a tiny bit older and wiser with DSLRs in general.
Just over a year ago now I got quite serious about photography after a few years of digital compact cameras. I bought a bridge camera first (Fuji HS20) but soon realised I was hooked and needed to go the whole hog. The Fuji was excellent by the way, but I couldn't whole-heartedly recommend bridge cameras, you gain nothing in size and there are compacts with Tv, Av, P & M modes now. Going DSLR brings the bigger sensor, the option to change lenses and speed and precision. The only downside is the yearning to spend yet more money on lenses and other kit!
I had the usual dilemma at the beginning that I'm sure everyone else has gone through, which manufacturer to go with. I quickly narrowed it down to Nikon and Pentax. Looking back, it was a close run thing, the Nikon has a bigger range of extras, the Pentaxes are weather sealed, the Nikons process JPEGS to my liking (when reading about them - I had not tried either remember), the Pentaxes have more high end features on cameras than a comparable offering from elsewhere. The decision was tipped by knowing a couple of people who owned Nikons and, believe it or not, looking at lens ratings in the back of magazines and noticing that Nikon rate higher than any other on average!
I've had some great times with my D5100 but there have been a few occasions when I've run for cover at the first hint of rain/snow/dust etc. At times like that I've thought back to my decision and remember well saying to my Nikon owning friends, 'surely all cameras should be weather sealed as a matter of routine!'.
So to a couple of weeks ago when I spotted a K200D for only 120 in an ad. You've guessed it, I bought it. I even stopped off at a camera shop on the 90 mile journey to buy a lens as it was sold body only. As it happens, they didn't have much choice and I got the same Tamron 70-300 Di macro as I have for my Nikon. (I pretty much agree with the rating on this site for this lens BTW, what I would point out is that while it is below average as a 70-300, it is pretty good as a 70-180 and quite a good close focussing 180mm). Since then I've added the Pentax 16-45 f4.
I have to say that the Pentax has surprised me. As an older model, it still compares very well to the D5100. It has 10.2 MP compared to the Nikons 16 point something but I only notice that when I mega crop a macro shot of an insect or similar. At first the Pentax was awkward and clunky but this is entirely down to it just being a bit different to what I was used to. As I've got used to it, I appreciate its solidity. I like the shutter feel too. Both are obviously precision items and I don't prefer one over the other but the Pentax feels like it would last forever while the Nikon might give up after a couple of hundred years.
The future? I think I'll be staying with both. I've invested in lenses and other kit for the Nikon and at least for now, I would use it for Macro work due to my choice of lenses and that sixteen mega pixel cropability advantage. As I add lenses to my Pentax armoury, I think it will become my poor weather and indoor camera. Indoor because I can use the in body image stability until I get a fast prime lens (where the Nikon has in lens IS.)
I can imagine upgrading the Pentax before the Nikon and it becoming my primary camera then. I've heard rumours of a full frame K3. If they have got round to launching this by the time I'm ready to upgrade, I think I'll do that. That would be a new adventure in photography as well as Pentax ownership.
All the best,
Smifffy

07-13-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums and the world of Pentax
07-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smifffy Quote
I've heard rumours of a full frame K3
Welcome to the forum, just don't hold your breath.
07-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome Smifffy. As for weathersealing: There's something satisfying shooting my K-5 in the mud and rain and seeing 'other' brand owners with their cameras in baggies!

07-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome

Hi guys,
Thanks.
On the subject of weather sealing, I can't take full advantage just yet as neither lens I have at the moment has this. I enjoy macro photography and have read good things about the DA*100 so as soon as I have several hundred pounds to spare, this may be my first. I have just been reading a blog on What Digital Camera about lenses that Pentax intend to launch this year though and there is an interesting sounding DA*16-85 which would make a very nice walk about lens. There was no information about apertures but perhaps you have more information.
Yes, the article I read about the K3 said it had been promised for some years. I wonder if I've got into Pentax at the right time though as now that they are part of Ricoh, they may have more funds for projects such as this - they certainly seem to be filling out the range with new models, perhaps its time is soon.
Smifffy.
07-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Yes, the article I read about the K3 said it had been promised for some years. I wonder if I've got into Pentax at the right time though as now that they are part of Ricoh, they may have more funds for projects such as this - they certainly seem to be filling out the range with new models, perhaps its time is soon.
Smifffy.
Aha. But will it be fullframe? The K-3 "holy grail" discussion is found elsewhere on the forum, but I could not resist mentioning FF
07-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

An 18-55 WR is inexpensive and at least gives you a walkaround lens you don't have to worry about. The 18-135 is nicer, of course, and the 16-45 is better but not WR.

Something to think about to fill out your WR kit.
07-20-2013, 05:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
Ah! it's already a well worn debate then!

I didn't realise it was not necessarily going to be a full frame. The article I read heavily suggested it would, if not actually said so. I might have been reading more into it than was actually stated.
Just took delivery of a Tamron Adaptall adapter to Pentax so I can now use my Adaptalls (a 70-210 model 46A and a 35-135 model 40A) on my K200. I don't know how much use they'll get as I use them on a bellows for macro on my Nikon as this needs an aperture ring to get full control but at least I've got the option. It doesn't get me any nearer to a WR set up though.
I have looked at the 18-55 WR and have seen them quite cheap on ebay and Amazon but I resisted as I think it would only be a stop gap. If I haven't got a WR lens that I really want soon though, I might just get one, I will certainly be able to get my money back once the right lens comes along.
All the best,
Smifffy

07-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... hope to see a few images soon ... J
07-21-2013, 05:19 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hello to you too....

This is great talking to people from all over the world. (You will guess from this that I'm not a user of the social network thingies).
I've just ordered another lens!!! When am I going to stop spending money on lenses? The answer I suspect is never! I've just won a Pentax 50mm f/1.7 M on e-bay - can't wait to try it.
I will post some photos soon. Don't hold your breath though, I like them but they're not technically the best. I've got a nice one I took with my Tamron 35-135 of a Day Lilly in our garden. It would stand scrutiny for focus, colour and detail but I suspect you could criticize it for having a little too much background distraction. If I learn a little from each photo I take though, I should get the perfect shot in about 2085, and I'll only be 124 years old! The Day Lilly surprised me a bit (I am not the gardener in the house - I just photograph it) I was photographing the buds on Friday evening as they are quite impressive large green torpedoes themselves, then I got back from work on Saturday morning and there was this huge yellow/orange/red flower there. I will have to try and watch it flower, does it spring open in seconds or unfurl over an hour or more?
All the best,
Smifffy
07-21-2013, 05:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
Just posted some Pics

Hello,
I've just posted three photos under the title 'Smifffys Pics'.
The spider is quite a character. He's (or maybe she's?) not only colourful but also seems to pose for me. He lives on a bush in our garden and is maybe 8mm across his legs. I've got some very detailed macro shots of him but they are with my Nikon (boo! hiss!) so I can't really show those here. That photo was probably the first I took with my K200 that was a keeper. It's with the Tamron 70-300 Di Macro at 180mm on macro setting (ie focusses closer, it's not genuinely macro). The two of the Lilly are with my old manual Tamron Adaptall 40A 35-135.
Smifffy.
07-21-2013, 08:12 AM   #12
Site Supporter

... The two of the Lilly are with my old manual Tamron Adaptall 40A 35-135.
Smifffy.
Thanks ... I have that Tamron as well as a bunch of other AD2 ... it's a good lens ... J
07-21-2013, 03:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yes, some of the old lenses were very good indeed. I was intrigued to find out how they would perform on a digital camera as I had read things saying that digital overtook film resolution at around 6 mega pixels and that lenses were struggling to keep up by about 10 megapixels. I also read that without special coatings for digital, older lenses weren't suitable. Well so far I have found them to be excellent, the only downside is the need to set everything manually but as an upside, I have learned a lot about photography that I may not have by having to do this. Another nice thing about the old lenses is that they are built solidly of metal and are such a pleasure to operate, a nice pairing to the solid K200 in fact.
Smifffy