Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #1

Hi! I am finally one of the family! :-)

Just registered and wanted to say hello to you all - I got my Pentax K-5 II a couple of weeks ago and am really enjoying it!

Have taken a few photos thus far, a few of which I have stuck on Flikr and on my website.

Flikr Photos with K-5 II

Look forward to learning from all you guys and girls and sharing the sights I see with you!

Kind Regards

Jenn

Silent Skies

07-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the family! This is a great place to share and learn.
07-13-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums Nice set of photos. especially the doggie
07-14-2013, 01:16 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks!

Another great day for taking photos today! It's been boiling hot here in Manchester for the past week or so!

Happy you like the pics and yes, that doggie is the sweetest lil thing, even if he is the ugliest gremlin of a dog you have ever seen hihi :-) (he has one brown eye, one bright blue eye and jowls like a troll, but all he wants to do is play fetch and cuddle)

07-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jennasis Quote
Thanks!

Another great day for taking photos today! It's been boiling hot here in Manchester for the past week or so!

Happy you like the pics and yes, that doggie is the sweetest lil thing, even if he is the ugliest gremlin of a dog you have ever seen hihi :-) (he has one brown eye, one bright blue eye and jowls like a troll, but all he wants to do is play fetch and cuddle)
Nice photos Jenna. Welcome to the forum!
07-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Nice photos Jenna. Welcome to the forum!
Thank you Mark! :-)
07-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum, Jenn.

Some very nice captures on your stream!

With which lens did you take this shot?

07-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

welcome!
07-14-2013, 02:20 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Welcome to the forum, Jenn.

Some very nice captures on your stream!

With which lens did you take this shot?
Thanks!

Most of the ones in that set (this one included) were taken with the 55-300mm, handheld around our local nature trail - that one was taken at 300mm.

I'd really like to get a long range macro lens to improve on fine detail, but my budget at the mo is rather tight and I've not seen any positive reviews of the cheaper 100mm+ lenses, so think I am holding out until I can borrow one to test, then will perhaps save for the 100mm WR, if it's worth it

Any recommendations?

Jenn
07-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
welcome!
Thank you! :-)
07-14-2013, 06:52 AM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome aboard, you have some good images there in your flickr.
07-14-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Any recommendations?
I have the Sigma 70/2.8 EX and it is great.

I wrote about the Sigma 70/2.8 EX a while ago praising its virtues.
I specifically wanted a 70mm lens because I wanted to take portraits with it as well.
I think that 100mm is already too long for portraits (on APS-C).

If you want a macro lens only, then going for the equally excellent Sigma 105/2.8 EX lens or even the Sigma 180/3.5 EX would make a bit more sense because the longer the focal length, the higher the stand-off distance. In other words, the lower the focal length, the closer you have to get to the subject to achieve 1:1 magnification and some critters will be scared by you approaching.

It is hard to find a bad macro lens so there are a lot of options.

If you want a Pentax 100/2.8 macro, I'd go for the WR version.

P.S.: Can't believe you took those shots with the 55-300!
07-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks!

Most of the ones in that set (this one included) were taken with the 55-300mm, handheld around our local nature trail - that one was taken at 300mm.

I'd really like to get a long range macro lens to improve on fine detail, but my budget at the mo is rather tight and I've not seen any positive reviews of the cheaper 100mm+ lenses, so think I am holding out until I can borrow one to test, then will perhaps save for the 100mm WR, if it's worth it

Any recommendations?

Jenn
It is an excellent lens, I had one that I sold because I just didn't do enough macro pics and used it more of a telephoto, and once I got the DA18-135WR it covered at WR telephoto length with a little more versatility. I do miss it though.
07-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome aboard, you have some good images there in your flickr.
Thank you! Am happy that you like them! I have just been out to take some more pics ;-) Couldn't resist in this weather!

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I have the Sigma 70/2.8 EX and it is great.

I wrote about the Sigma 70/2.8 EX a while ago praising its virtues.
I specifically wanted a 70mm lens because I wanted to take portraits with it as well.
I think that 100mm is already too long for portraits (on APS-C).

If you want a macro lens only, then going for the equally excellent Sigma 105/2.8 EX lens or even the Sigma 180/3.5 EX would make a bit more sense because the longer the focal length, the higher the stand-off distance. In other words, the lower the focal length, the closer you have to get to the subject to achieve 1:1 magnification and some critters will be scared by you approaching.

It is hard to find a bad macro lens so there are a lot of options.

If you want a Pentax 100/2.8 macro, I'd go for the WR version.

P.S.: Can't believe you took those shots with the 55-300!
I was comparing the 55-300mm and 18-135mm for macro today and having the extra range really helps with the small insects! The one thing that both lack, to some extent, is detailed fine focus at the long end (or perhaps I am being a little too demanding?) and I feel that a long macro might do this a lot better. Thank you for the suggestion of the Sigma 180, had not come across this one - I will take a look! I was also looking at an AF extension tube set on ebay for £40 and was wondering if these would have any significant disadvantages, such as vignetting?

Thanks for your expertise! :-)

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
It is an excellent lens, I had one that I sold because I just didn't do enough macro pics and used it more of a telephoto, and once I got the DA18-135WR it covered at WR telephoto length with a little more versatility. I do miss it though.
I really love the 18-135 due to it's wide angle at the bottom end, but I always feel I need more range when I use it, largely I suppose because I am stuck in a city and there isn't much to see here unless you go into the macro world! I think the 18-135 will come into it's own for me when I can finally escape to the lakes or peaks :-)
07-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Great pictures, Jenna. I want a K-5 II and you make me want one even more