Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello from NYC! and a little help

Hello everyone. I have been a pentax owner since 2008 when I got a *istDL. I registered at this site then, and it took me 5 years to make my first post....talk about slow

But i never had an issue with my *istDL and have accumulate tons of memories with it....coming from P&S it was a huge upgrade. But few weeks ago it just died without symptoms. It would shoot pics but would show up as blanks dark images...i guess its time was over and started shooting blanks

So i got an excuse to convince the wife to buy a K30. Wow what an upgrade that was. I am loving it, but am skeptical about few things:
1. whats with the 16MP? My *istDL was 6 and i have made only one poster with it of 18x20 and it turned out amazing. I dont want my HDD to fill up and with a slow computer, it takes longer to load images. What will i lose if i reduce my MP to 8 during jpg savings, but still *** (best quality)? I am not a pixel peeper.

2. I have been making time lapse movies with the k30 with the built in function (once with 250 and then 500 images). Turned out great. Still needs a lot of tuning as per exposure etc. But then i saw you can use the movie function to do the same thing....saves a lot of post processing time. But the LCD remains ON during movie shoot. Is there a way to turn it off! i am worried my battery would die before the movie is made.

3. Has anyone made a time lapse video with the images taken as HDRs?

I am still digging into the manual and will be frequenting this site !

07-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunju Quote
1. whats with the 16MP? My *istDL was 6 and i have made only one poster with it of 18x20 and it turned out amazing. I dont want my HDD to fill up and with a slow computer, it takes longer to load images. What will i lose if i reduce my MP to 8 during jpg savings, but still *** (best quality)? I am not a pixel peeper.
The K-30's higher resolution delivers more detail (this will be especially apparent when shooting landscapes) and also gives you a lot more leeway when cropping. It'll be a while before your hard drive fills up @16Mp as long as you stick to JPEG.

If you reduce the resolution in-camera, the camera will still capture a 16Mp image, but it will be scaled by the camera's software to 8Mp. The results will probably look fine, but note that the in-camera algorithm is not optimal (photoshop gives you a choice of 5 different ways of scaling images, each of which is good for a different purpose). Also, because JPEG files are compressed, 16Mp files will almost never be twice as big as their 8Mp counterparts, so IMO it's better to still to the original resolution.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-30's higher resolution delivers more detail (this will be especially apparent when shooting landscapes) and also gives you a lot more leeway when cropping. It'll be a while before your hard drive fills up @16Mp as long as you stick to JPEG.

If you reduce the resolution in-camera, the camera will still capture a 16Mp image, but it will be scaled by the camera's software to 8Mp. The results will probably look fine, but note that the in-camera algorithm is not optimal (photoshop gives you a choice of 5 different ways of scaling images, each of which is good for a different purpose). Also, because JPEG files are compressed, 16Mp files will almost never be twice as big as their 8Mp counterparts, so IMO it's better to still to the original resolution.
Thank Adam. I perhaps need to convince the wife for the next upgrade: An iMac with additional storage
07-16-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, iMac is good way to go forward.

07-16-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
With storage so cheap--if you can also take raw--you have best of both worlds. It makes a difference when you take a "masterpiece" and want to change White Balance and/or recover blown out areas. But yes 6 MP is plenty for most work. The advantages are not about MP but about raw vs jpg IMO.
07-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J