Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #1

Brand New K-30 Owner In Ventura, CA

I just got my K-30 earlier this week. I love it. This is my first SLR. I got the deal Hunt's had. $499.95 for the camera body and lens shipped.

I got it with the 18-55 WR lens. This lens seems great for outdoor stuff when shooting my 2 year son, but is lacking indoor in low light conditions.

I will be doing mostly indoor low light shots. Also food shots for my wife's blog, The Busy Mom's Diet, so I already feel like I need a better lens for those scenarios.

I know it is not the perfect lens for low light food shots, but I settled and just purchased a used DA 35mm F2.4 from a fellow Pentax Forum member. I'm excited to receive it.

I also purchased a basic filter set, mostly to protect the lens, but also to play around with the filters.

07-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board with us.
07-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums. The 35/2.4 is a good lens, at a good price. Food photography is a discipline in itself. The kit lens isn't really your limiter here. You need good lighting to make the food look its best. Buy some lighting equipment.

As far as filters go, the only useful ones are ND and circular polarizers. UV filters are for protection only. Remember, cheap filters will reduce the quality of your image to some degree.
07-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy that new K-30.

07-17-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lights, Camera, FOOD!

Hello Oxnard111, Welcome to the Forum!
Kenafein is 100% right, the DA 35 AL is a great prime lens and a good length for close product shots. At some point you might want to look into a true macro lens, also.
He's also correct about lighting; Indoor and artificial lighting can be a nightmare to color-correct, especially if it's mixed sources. If you don't already have Lightroom, that would be a good next purchase. It will help in all phases of your photography and improve the final product.
A medium-sized hotshoe flash will work much better than the pop-up flash on the camera. The Pentax AF 360fgz can be found for around $125-150 online (used) and $230-250 new. There are also manual flashes for much less.
Last, a recommendation that's free (about time, huh?), google 'The Strobist" and read it. Best online tutorial for photo lighting I've seen; It will change your outlook on flash lighting forever.
Good luck and post some photos!
Ron
07-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you for the kind words. I haven't searched yet, but can any body point me in the right direction for newbie tutorials? Preferably written text? I don't really like watching tutorial videos.
07-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... love my DA 35/2.4 (see signature) and hope to see some images soon ... J