Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 07:43 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax Hobbiest

Hello,

Been a amateur photographer since before high school. Always had a Pentax SLR. Bought a K10D a while back as my first dSLR and loved it. I've had to fix it after it took an offroading tumble. Worked for another couple years, but was not taking consistent pics so I just upgraded to a K30.

07-21-2013, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, good to have you on board with us.
07-21-2013, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #3

Welcome to the forum! I've got a K-r and waiting for it 'break down' so I can justify an upgrade haha :P
07-22-2013, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard!
And tough as these cameras are they only take so much punishment...

07-22-2013, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-30 and hope to see an image or two soon ... J
07-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #6

Original Poster
And the tumble I mentioned was a toss from a jeep fender about 15 feet into the air, right onto a rock, then a rest in a small stream. I was shocked we got it to work at all.
07-24-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bftuuri Quote
toss from a jeep fender about 15 feet into the air, right onto a rock, then a rest in a small stream
Welcome to the forum, note to self, never lend you any of my kit.
07-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #8

You sound as though you know a bit about the K10. I recently got one and am still very much learning my way around it.I would like to be able to use my pre digital lenses. For example my Asahi SMC Pentax M 1.2 50mm. I put it on the camera and set the focal length. How do I then control exposure. I guess it should be on Manual. Am I ( or the camera) able to control the shutter speed and the aperture somehow?

07-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #9

Original Poster
Manual lenses on K-10 or others

novicegartner - Yes, I've played with my 30+ year old lenses and they work quite well actually. Just put your mind back to when you were using them on your film SLR. Manual mode is the best, but the camera will try it's best to set the shutter speed and sensitivity. When using an older lens, you will see that you cannot adjust the aperture - you should see "---" Just set that on your lens. I use a 200mm zone with a doubler for many shots and wind up setting it to f 3.5 for the most part since it's got a bunch of lens to go through and get real dark, real fast. And of course, you'll have to do the focusing yourself too. I'm using screw on lenses with a bayonet adaptor I bought about 20 years ago when I went for pure manual SLR to "Auto' SLR. I use the lens from that camera for close ups and macros as it has the bayonet style and it has an "A" setting for the aperture and it works just fine. Again, manual focus. Keep playing, that's the only way to learn.
07-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #10

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me. That is really encouraging.