Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2013, 05:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Goodbye Pentax...

Dear all,
I know this section is for "welcome", but I couldn't find a better section for a "goodbye".
I have been a pentaxian for about 25 years, since I bought my first film reflex, then I moved to the K10D and then K5.
In my last years as Pentaxian I was a little bit upset about lack of Pentax presence where I live (italy) and I suffered for lack of used market, new lenses in the main shops etc.
I realized reading this forum that this was a common topic, whether you are in NY or London or Italy, so I lived with it. I also had some complain with my camera about sharpeness and AF etc.
A month ago, while on holiday in France, all my stuff has been stoled. The bag, the lenses , the camera, everything...
Back home, I reviewed the market offer and at the end, since I have to restart from scratch, I decided to go for a Nikon D7100. So I decided to leave Pentax after 25 years and I feel a little
bit guilty with this. Don't want to leave without few words... After a month of usage I can tell you that the K5 has nothing less. The ergonomic is better for the K5 and sharpness, well,
it is really all a matter of lenses not of camera body. My first lens with D71000 I returned after a week and purchased a sigma 17-70, not even a Nikon lens. Now it works great but I suspect that
would work well also on the K5. I am learning how to customize all the D7100 settings so it looks as much as possible similar to my K5 (crazy but out of the box you don't even see how many ISO you are shoting,
and the picture you take is not displayed after the shot!).
I read now the Nikon forums and I see same complains on some Nikon lens as I read here on Pentax lens etc.
So really no big point to change unless they stole everything to you! So keep going with Pentax as they do great cameras and you have to be proud of it.
Wish you all the best
Riccardo
P.S. will remain a member as I love the context and galleries.

07-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for your post and good luck ... maybe another Pentax in your future ... J
07-22-2013, 06:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I lived in Tokyo for many a year where camera shops were aplenty and the amount of Pentax goods, new and used, were easy for me to put my hands on.
Since moving back to my small hometown in England, the lack of camera shops is a major setback.
We used to have Jessops here and a small shop called Blackhams dealing in films cameras which closed with the emergence of digital SLR's.

I do empathise with you about a lack of Pentax presence, but at least you do have stores that actually stock cameras of other brands.

And, sorry to hear someone stole your kit.
07-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry about your losses. Best of luck with the new brand.
Would you care to tell how your gear was stolen or give advice to those traveling so it doesn't happen to someone else?

07-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Sad to hear that they have stolen all your Pentax gear.

I did exactly the opposite. I started with digital photography this year and my choice was between D7100 (I have Nikon film camara's) and the K5-II. In the end I choose for Pentax because of the classic design and the solid build of the K5.

I wish you all the best.
07-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I feel for you.

I was once a Canon shooter. I was satisfied but never happy. I looked at Nikon and became very interested. Then, I came across the FA Limiteds and I made a blind leap to Pentax.

Here in the Philippines, (though Pentax DSLRs are made here) Pentax is a virtually unknown brand save for those who have been shooting since the 70s. Pentax is known here for the Optio series early in the decade, but the brand has never been taken seriously even by some dealers here. It's really sad. Canon controls the market, and every now and then, there are Nikons.

Just imagine, if Nikon is a minority here, what would you think of Pentax?

The second hand market here is virtually non-existent. Only a few sellers coupled with their exorbitant, unholy prices. I'd have to import from either Adorama and/or B&H to get brand new items priced much lower than their second hand counterparts. Here, a used 40mm XS is priced at $220. A cheap, non-pentax common 50mm would be priced at around $80. And second hand K5 (body only) are still priced at almost $1,000!!!

The Canon support and market, on the other hand, is abuzz with activities and the items are more reasonably priced because of abundant supply.

The situation is really sad here, and it requires a lot of faith, patience and sacrifices just to follow the brand.

I digress, but you're right, if you're not in the US, it might make sense not to be invested in Pentax. But, I don't think I'll ever follow my own advice, as long as the K-mount is still here.
07-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sorry about your loss. Good luck with the D7100. The great thing about photography today is that there isn't a bad digital camera out there -- even the consumer grade lenses tend to be pretty good. Nice to have so many options (although I'm sticking with Pentax for now).
07-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sorry for your loss. If you had any of your gear's serial numbers written down, you should check on them periodically on some websites like Stolen Camera Finder - find your photos, find your camera

While it may be unlikely to find it, it's worth checking once a while.

As for you going to Nikonland - good luck to you. The D7100 is quite the powerhouse, and Nikon has been stepping up their game lately. It's great to hear that you found the k-5 still competitive - it really is one of the best designed dslrs ever.

07-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Glad you'll still be popping in from time to time. I'm hoping the sensor from the D7100 will eventually find it's way to Pentax... but you never know. For now, you're ahead of the game. Good luck in the future. That really sucks about having your gear stolen. I don't know what I'd do.
07-22-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Well, good luck with your new gear. If all my gear was lost or stolen, would I switch brands? I can't honestly say.
07-22-2013, 02:03 PM   #11

I sympathize
I want to wish good pictures with the new camera
07-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #12

Can't say I blame you - I would likely do the same thing in your situation. I got into Pentax 28 years ago, because it simply provided better value for the amateur than Nikon or Canon. When I finally got around to going digital in late 2007, I had too many nice legacy lenses to give up Pentax, even though the big two had thoroughly eclipsed Pentax in the digital realm.

The gear isn't the main thing - the image is. The competition between brands has always been overemphasized, IMHO.
07-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I wonder what I would do in that situation... hmm. I don't blame you for switching. It seems like a good time to do it since you're back to shopping anyway. Good. luck.
07-22-2013, 09:30 PM   #14

Of course, in this situation it is better not to fall.
and do not keep all your eggs in one basket
07-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by quintinir Quote
all my stuff has been stoled
What a bugger!!!

Good luck with your new gear, keeps up us up to date with your Nikon experiences.