Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 07:37 AM   #1

Greetings from filmmaker in Chicago!!

My name is Grace and I'm a filmmaker! I've been using my fabulous Pentax lenses on my Canon 7D. I joined this forum to learn more about these fully manual film lenses and to post about my experiences using them on my DSLR to shoot film. I'd love to hear from more users! Does anyone else use SMC-M lenses on their digital camera? Has anyone shot films with this kind of set up?

There are many mods one can do to their lens that would help on a DSLR, but make the lens unusable on the Pentax-M camera it came with. Has anyone performed any of these mods and how did it it turn out?

Best,

Grace

07-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... I have a lot of manual legacy glass, but do not that much video/film ... I think that there are some threads here about lens mods, etc. ... good luck, J
07-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF. Half my lenses are SMC-M lenses. they share time on both my DSLR's and my film cameras. I don't shoot video tho
07-24-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello from a fellow Chicagolander, Grace.

I don't have many M lenses, but have been very impressed even with the standard old "Cheap" kit M-50 f2 lens. If you get exposure right, the lens is almost macro in resolution and the colors are just...right.

07-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gpisula Quote
There are many mods one can do to their lens that would help on a DSLR, but make the lens unusable on the Pentax-M camera it came with. Has anyone performed any of these mods and how did it it turn out?

Best,

Grace
Generally, Pentaxians keep their lenses as manufactured because there is a limited amount of lenses compared to Canikony.

When a rare manual Pentax lens is "modded", to accept a different mount, or to change the registry distance, it generally becomes one less lens for Pentaxians to use.

Since Pentax cameras can use pretty much every lens ever made, it's sad when a Pentax lens is "destroyed" through modding.

With a limited supply of Pentax lenses out there, the price of used Pentax glass keeps going up and up.

Since most exceptional Pentax lenses are already pretty rare/expensive, not many people change them.
You will find that is pretty much the case throughout Pentax lens ownership.
07-24-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, you may find you get frowned at here, if you start talking about butchering fine Pentax glass.
07-24-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, you may find you get frowned at here, if you start talking about butchering fine Pentax glass.
Aye.
07-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

There are many mods one can do to their lens that would help on a DSLR, but make the lens unusable on the Pentax-M camera it came with.
Seems to me it makes more sense to just use the Pentax lenses on a Pentax camera and Canon lenses on a Canon.
If I had a horse saddle and wanted to ride, I believe I'd buy a horse. I don't think I'd buy a camel and then cut off it's hump so my saddle would fit it.

07-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
If I had a horse saddle and wanted to ride, I believe I'd buy a horse. I don't think I'd buy a camel and then cut off it's hump so my saddle would fit it.
07-24-2013, 06:56 PM   #10
Site Supporter

I tried "modding" one of these for my Pentax K5 but I butchered it:

Last edited by jpzk; 08-30-2015 at 07:09 PM.
07-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #11

Original Poster
Everyone will be pleased to know that I did NOT mod my lenses for the Canon 7D. I discovered that these lenses fit a bit differently than on full sensor DSLRs, and I was able to avoid shaving the lever all together. I did notice however the lever would get caught on the corner of the fitting and this would cause the aperture to open as I mounted the lens. (Your experience may differ depending on the type of adapter you have.)

My solution? I carefully bent the lever. We're talking a fraction of a millimeter. Aperture ring is fully functional. Mirror and lens both safe AND I can always pick up my Pentax-M for a change of pace.

On another note, last weekend I shot a short film entirely with the SMC-M 35mm and 45-125mm. I absolutely love the aesthetic and color is remarkable. I will try and post it once released!

I appreciate all the feedback! This is my first forum and I can already tell this is the start of something great!

Peace

Last edited by Parallax; 07-29-2013 at 05:21 AM.
07-28-2013, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Moderator PEG Judges

Everyone will be pleased to know that I did NOT mod my lenses for the Canon 7D
That being the case then, you are really one us and not a Pentax "butcher".