Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #1

New User from Illinois

Hey everyone,
I am both new to the forum and the Pentax platform. Just recently purchased a K20D and plan on using it at my kid's horse shows. Any suggestions on shooting modes from any other equestrian photographers would be great!
Thanks
Mike

07-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forum. The only advice I can offer on equestrian photography is to stay out of their way!

Depending on how close you can get (for yourself and the rider's safety), you might want to look at some of the longer focal lengths, like 200mm or 300mm.
07-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Welcome to the forum. The only advice I can offer on equestrian photography is to stay out of their way!

Depending on how close you can get (for yourself and the rider's safety), you might want to look at some of the longer focal lengths, like 200mm or 300mm.
Thanks Tom, great advice Currently have a SMC Pentax-A 70-210 with a fixed F4. Love the lens for non/slow movement but being a manual focus, it presents some challenges when they are trotting or cantering. Have been shooting in our arena for practice. So far Tav at 1/30 and F4 have provided some good results when I get it focused.
07-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J

07-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by celticboyo Quote
Thanks Tom, great advice Currently have a SMC Pentax-A 70-210 with a fixed F4. Love the lens for non/slow movement but being a manual focus, it presents some challenges when they are trotting or cantering. Have been shooting in our arena for practice. So far Tav at 1/30 and F4 have provided some good results when I get it focused.
That's a good lens. Use it in catch-in-focus mode. It will snap the rider and critter wherever you have focused the lens. I often use it for sports.
07-27-2013, 11:30 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
stay out of their way!
Welcome, aye and don't walk to close behind these beasts.