Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to everybody !!

Hello to everybody,

I recently both a K30 Pentax and I am starting to take good pictures in a course. I algo got from my father a package of 6 good SMC FA lenses he had from his old 35 mm Pentax camera.

I will be uploading my pictures once in a while.

By the way, can somebody tell me how to calculate the conversion of the focal lenghts of the FA lens to the digital area ? For example, what is the 28 mm FA lens corresponding to a DA lens ?

Sincerely,

Jorgario

07-26-2013, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jorgario Quote
Hello to everybody,

I recently both a K30 Pentax and I am starting to take good pictures in a course. I algo got from my father a package of 6 good SMC FA lenses he had from his old 35 mm Pentax camera.

I will be uploading my pictures once in a while.

By the way, can somebody tell me how to calculate the conversion of the focal lenghts of the FA lens to the digital area ? For example, what is the 28 mm FA lens corresponding to a DA lens ?

Sincerely,

Jorgario
The crop factor is 1.5x, which means that your lenses will not be as wide on digital as they were on film. So, a 50mm on digital will feel like a 75mm on film, and vice-versa. The focal length does not change, ever, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #3

I algo got from my father a package of 6 good SMC FA lenses he had from his old 35 mm Pentax camera.
Lucky you! Welcome to the forum

Jorgario, strictly speaking the focal length of the lens does not change. You can speak of "effective focal length" instead which tells you the focal length of a lens that will have the same angle of view on a 35mm camera as the lens in question on the cropped sensor. The APS-C sensors that Pentax uses are 1.5 smaller than 35mm film (in linear dimensions). This is called "crop factor". Effective focal length = Crop factor x the actual focal length of the lens.

So a 28mm lens mounted on your K-30 will have the same angle of view as a 28x1.5 = 42mm lens mounted on a 35mm camera. I.e. your 28mm lens can be considered to be a "normal" lens on the K-30

Same applies to any DA lens. The focal length given for all DA lenses is their actual focal length, not their effective focal length. I.e. the DA40 would have the same focal length as an FA40. For example the DA 15 Limited has the same angle of view as 15x1.5 = 22.5mm lens mounted on a 35mm camera

Last edited by vanyagor; 07-26-2013 at 10:47 AM.
07-26-2013, 10:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J

07-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

tell me how to calculate the conversion of the focal lengths
Everyone's beaten me to the post with answers, so I'll just say welcome to the forum and enjoy it.
07-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vanyagor Quote
Lucky you! Welcome to the forum

Jorgario, strictly speaking the focal length of the lens does not change. You can speak of "effective focal length" instead which tells you the focal length of a lens that will have the same angle of view on a 35mm camera as the lens in question on the cropped sensor. The APS-C sensors that Pentax uses are 1.5 smaller than 35mm film (in linear dimensions). This is called "crop factor". Effective focal length = Crop factor x the actual focal length of the lens.

So a 28mm lens mounted on your K-30 will have the same angle of view as a 28x1.5 = 42mm lens mounted on a 35mm camera. I.e. your 28mm lens can be considered to be a "normal" lens on the K-30

Same applies to any DA lens. The focal length given for all DA lenses is their actual focal length, not their effective focal length. I.e. the DA40 would have the same focal length as an FA40. For example the DA 15 Limited has the same angle of view as 15x1.5 = 22.5mm lens mounted on a 35mm camera
Thanks for the explanaciones and the cross factor !!
07-27-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Everyone's beaten me to the post with answers, so I'll just say welcome to the forum and enjoy it.
Thanks !!
07-27-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J
Merci bien !!