Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 01:38 AM   #16

Original Poster
hi jean and everyone
well the gear has arrived, now im lost
i read about some recommended k5 settings, do they apply to the iis
i can only find these menus when i switch to manual, so do they not work on auto
so far i am using as a point and shoot to get the feel of the camera, ive got a lot to learn, i wont be posting pics in the near future i can tell you that for starters.
can any one recommend a really good, simple idiots guide to dslr, just to give me some easy basic principals as a starting point

thanks

rob

08-15-2013, 06:15 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Magic Lantern guide for the K7 would be a good starting point. The K5 series shares the same menu, though the camera hardware is more advanced. It gives good advice on how to use the different modes, the basics of exposure etc.

A really quick way to do things is use the camera in TAv mode. The two wheels will control aperture and shutter speed. That way you can keep the ISO in a good range - outdoors in sunlight ISO 100-200 is great, but the K5 can go to around 6400 without much loss in image, so if you want to really push your shutter speed high you can do so.

Look in the "show us what the 18-135" thread (in lens discussion) to see what people are using as settings, that will give you a head start.
08-15-2013, 12:59 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The Magic Lantern guide for the K7 would be a good starting point. The K5 series shares the same menu, though the camera hardware is more advanced. It gives good advice on how to use the different modes, the basics of exposure etc. ...
Very good advice ... I bought this book when I purchased my used K-7 and still refer to it with the new K-5 ... you can find this used or new on Amazon (UK) ...highly recommended for a starting point IMHO ... Good luck, J
08-18-2013, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #19

Original Poster
a pic for jean poitiers

here is one of my first pics which I am reasonably happy with, apart from the fact he has part of his leg missing, (he broke it off)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-18-2013, 06:34 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bob the builder Quote
here is one of my first pics which I am reasonably happy with, apart from the fact he has part of his leg missing, (he broke it off)
I think that qualifies as a resounding success!

Enjoy, and welcome!
08-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #21
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

That is properly well done! Good to see the kit works for you
08-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Thanks for your image, bob ... looks like you are off to a very good start ... congrats and what lens did you use ? Looking forward to more ... Allez et salut, J

08-18-2013, 07:25 AM   #23

Original Poster
thanks for the good comments folks

the gear i used was the iis and 18-135 lens (its the only lens i can afford to start off with until i get better with the camera
08-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

i have read some comments for the 11 and 11s
can anyone give a simple answer please as i am baffled with all the tech stuff, main thing seems to be this moire pattern thing, should i be worried about this as i am a complete novice
it will be mainly general pics like landscapes, castles, holiday pics, i will be printing publicity posters and using macro after a lot of practise learning how to use the camera etc
should i go with the 11 or 11s, currently i am swaying to the 11s because i need the best i can afford
I just have the older K5, but had one of my images printed at 20" x 30". Now the poster only cost me $10 at Costco, so I was not expecting the best quality. The result was stunning - way beyond my expectations. I can only imagine the output with the K5IIs and the DA 100 Macro. I also really liked your bug picture.

z
08-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #25

Original Poster
also this was taken on fully auto settings
08-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #26

Original Poster
here are 2 more same as before, full auto setting 18-135 lens
I should get there with some practise
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
08-18-2013, 08:04 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Bonjour bob ... here's some shots with my K-5 and DA 18-55 WR taken at the buttery enclosure at the Houston Natural History Museum ... this lens works well at "close focus" applications ... your butterfly shots made me think about this ... these shots were all taken with the onboard flash which is not an optimal light source, but OK if it's all you have at the moment ... J

( + ) Taken last week in the Cantal mountains ...

08-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #28

Original Poster
we had a giant weta like that
it was 10cm long and it hurts when it bites, trust me
08-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #29

Original Poster
hi I have a question
I got a software called pentax camera utility with my camera
is this like photoshop, can it do the same
or should I go ahead and get photoshop

cheers rob
08-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is more like LightRoom than Photoshop, but for all the intended purposes, I would go ahead and load it up and work with it. You can crop, sharpen, adjust colors, etc. It will load raw and convert it to JPG for you, pretty much everything you will probably want to do.

There are a lot of post processing utilities out there to select from. LightRoom is probably the best bang for the money (euro).