Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 02:31 AM   #1

new to photography

hi
i am considering buying the k511s and 18-135 da wr lens as a first proper camera can anyone offer advise for this, is it good kit for first timer like me, i know nothing about f stops, iso etc, but i aim top learn
my budget is 1000 euros
i would use it mainly for general pictures like holiday pics, landscapes, chateaux's
i own a live insect museum attraction so would also need to buy a macro after i have had some practise with camera
rob
south of france hence euro budget

07-27-2013, 04:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from Poitiers, France ... the K-5iis & 18-135 WR is a great combo and you can learn at your own pace ... if you're stuck with something that you cannot resolve, write a question here on the forum, or send me a message in French if you want ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J
07-27-2013, 05:34 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Welcome to PF and bonjour from Poitiers, France ... the K-5iis & 18-135 WR is a great combo and you can learn at your own pace ... if you're stuck with something that you cannot resolve, write a question here on the forum, or send me a message in French if you want ... hope to see an image or two soon ... J
bonjour
merci de votre reponse
je suis le proprietaire d'Insectopia acote de gouffre de padirac
mon francais sont terrible desolet
07-27-2013, 05:59 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bob the builder Quote
bonjour
merci de votre reponse
je suis le proprietaire d'Insectopia acote de gouffre de padirac
mon francais sont terrible desolet
Hi again ... You can write to me in English, because I am an American that moved to France many years ago.

For your park attraction, I would recommend later that you think about getting maybe Pentax's D-FA 100mm f2.8 Macro WR lens ... it's really great and one of the top rated lens here on this forum ... I have it and it's one of my favorite lenses.

SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

Here's a sample photo using the 100mm Macro and my K-r. Take care, J

07-27-2013, 06:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Hi again Bob,

Just remembered and in case you did not know, there's a 100 rebate program going on for the K-5II / K-5IIs until August 3rd (I think that this is the right end date) ... J
07-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Hi again Bob,

Just remembered and in case you did not know, there's a 100 rebate program going on for the K-5II / K-5IIs until August 3rd (I think that this is the right end date) ... J
i was going to buy from uk i think they are much cheaper than france
07-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like a good start up kit to me, in fact it's a lot better equivalent than I first started out with all those years ago.
07-29-2013, 12:59 AM   #8

Original Poster
i have read some comments for the 11 and 11s
can anyone give a simple answer please as i am baffled with all the tech stuff, main thing seems to be this moire pattern thing, should i be worried about this as i am a complete novice
it will be mainly general pics like landscapes, castles, holiday pics, i will be printing publicity posters and using macro after a lot of practise learning how to use the camera etc
should i go with the 11 or 11s, currently i am swaying to the 11s because i need the best i can afford

07-29-2013, 01:59 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bob the builder Quote
i have read some comments for the 11 and 11s
can anyone give a simple answer please as i am baffled with all the tech stuff, main thing seems to be this moire pattern thing, should i be worried about this as i am a complete novice
it will be mainly general pics like landscapes, castles, holiday pics, i will be printing publicity posters and using macro after a lot of practise learning how to use the camera etc
should i go with the 11 or 11s, currently i am swaying to the 11s because i need the best i can afford
I've had the K-5 II.s for awhile now and haven't had a problem with moire so I can't see it being a big problem for you. BTW I would certainly recommend the Pentax K-5 II.s to anyone. And a Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG Macro wouldn't go astray either.

08-10-2013, 06:05 AM   #10

Original Poster
hi
well i ordered the kit today
just need to learn how to use it now
08-10-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing your future images ... J
08-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter

...and if you haven't done so already you should download the pdf version of the camera manual and start reading it right away
08-11-2013, 11:56 PM   #13

Original Poster
hi all
downloaded last night
334 pages wow what a headache

all i have at the moment is a point and shoot pocket pentax
it will take a long time to get to know this one and get good results
08-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Yos
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome!
Don't give up as once you get the basics it is a start to a life long love
Enjoy your K-5 II(s)!
If you have any questions about your camera I am sure you will get a good answer here once your post it

Cheers
Yos
08-12-2013, 12:07 AM   #15

Original Poster
it should be great
i own a live insect and butterfly zoo, cant wait to get into macro