Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2013, 12:16 PM   #1

Hey

Hello everyone, I have been a bridge camera user for 3 years and often prefered bridge cameras in general, only just recently have I decided to take photography more seriously and now doing a photography course (haven't started yet) an decided to snap myself up a K100D for under £100 with the 18 to 55mm lens that comes with most kits.

I now have a couple of questions, im sure someone has a k100D which could answer this for me.
I will be doing a tonne of varied photography on this course, and obviously be learning manual eventually but for now need automatic lenses:

I spoke to my photography teacher, and they said these lenses would be fine, but what does everyone think?
(Also very much a novice with dslr's and would I be correct in guessing most lenses fit this camera? pentax/tameron/sigma? if not what am I looking for.

Anyway your views on these lenses?

1. SMC DA 18-55mm AL F3.5-5.6 ?

2. SMC DA 18-55mm AL F3.5-5.6

3. FAJ 18-35mm f4-5.6

And has anyone heard or used one of these with a K100D

Opteka 500-1000mm High Definition Mirror Telephoto lens

Thanks in advance for your views

07-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #2

Original Poster
sorry typed in two of the same lens :/
07-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-100 and hope to see an image or two soon ... J

PS - All of your lens are the same focal length (18-35/55), so I would suggest that one is enough ... I do not know about this mirror lens; they are not that great ... how much is this gear?
07-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can read about all of those lenses in our lens database:

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

For more info, I'd also recommend that you start a new thread in the lens section.

Generally-speaking, all three of the lenses are run-of-the-mill in terms of image quality. They'll get the job done, but aren't stellar. The same goes for the K100D (by modern standards), but the camera will certainly give you everything you need for a photo course.

BTW, I wouldn't both with the mirror lens, as it's got low image quality and basically requires a tripod.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, given the choice I would go for primes, a nifty 50 and something a a bit wider.
07-27-2013, 12:41 PM   #6

Original Poster
Okay thank you, I didnt want to go for a brand new dslr or go for a high model to start with, without breaking the bank so to speak.
Cheers for the info on the mirror lens