Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #1

New to DSLR photography

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy my first camera before September. I don't have any DSLR experience but I've read several books on the matter and I feel like I'm ready to buy my first camera. I've really taken to the Pentax brand after reading countless comparisons and reviews, but I'm still stuck. The K-5ii, K-5, K-30 and K-50 sound so similar it is making a decision very difficult. Anyone have any pointers/advice?

07-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're getting your first camera, get the K-30 if possible (it's basically the same as the K-50, but cheaper), otherwise the K-50. It's a great upper entry-level camera with lots of features generally only found in higher-end DSLRs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, I'm planning on getting the Pentax 18-135 lens to start. I've read this lens is much better than the other kit lenses and I feel like it will allow me to learn how to use the camera before investing in other lenses.
07-30-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is a perfect place to start. Also, pick up th DA35/2.4 if you can. Its a great starter prime.

07-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
Kozlok, are you refering to this lens, SMC Pentax-DA 35mm F2.4 AL. Sorry for my ignorance, there are so many, I'm still learning the jargon.
07-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Yos
Veteran Member

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Yup that's the lens Kozlok is refering to.
I also recommend it (the DA 35mm F2.4) and a K-30 + 18-135mm WR lens. You will have a great WR combo and a good portrait/street lens.
Good luck picking
08-01-2013, 04:40 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Welcome, there's a good camera comparison section on here just follow this link

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/

where you can compare the features side by side for three cameras.

08-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome. If you can afford it, my vote would go to the K-5 II. Or, wait for September / October and see see if the rumours are true!
08-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Welcome. If you can afford it, my vote would go to the K-5 II. Or, wait for September / October and see see if the rumours are true!
What rumor are you speaking of, Mark?
08-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Phreeze Quote
What rumor are you speaking of, Mark?
Several (sometimes credible) sources say Rikoh is to announce a new camera in September. There's some talk in Japan re this from a less than credible source but there has been persistent rumours now for a few months from other sources as well, that something new will be announced September. (Reputable retailers staff in USA and Europe) The chatter going on seems to suggest that the new camera is not full-frame which more than likely means an upgrade of the K-5 II. If that's the case, K-5 II price must drop. If (in the unlikely event) it is FF, then that opens a whole new can of worms!

One source suggested that the new body will be a change from the K-5 frame so the battery grip will need to change from the D-BG4. Interestingly, new D-BG4 grips have been "out of stock" with most major retailers for months now; so is that another indication that a change is about to be announced? No-one knows, or those in the know are not saying.

Anyway, September is not far way, so I'd be tempted to hold back until then just in case you buy something now only to say "Damn" five weeks from now!
08-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with the K-30/K-50 option. The lens you have your mind on would be a nice start. I have the 35mm others have recommended and I love it. It's on my camera more than any other lens.