Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Inheriting Lenses; Buying K-5 IIs

Hi,

I've always had Nikon equipment, but due to death and inheritance I now have several lenses, which I plan to pair to purchase to a
K-5 IIs. I have little experience with Nikon but my brother loved Pentax, has some (very) long lenses, and a number of of "Limited" lenses, included a "pancake" 40mm lenses, all of which look well built and to which I have generally found descriptions.

He had one, a "Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited" to which I can't find reference (or missed it) on the Pentax corporate site. What are the qualities of this lens (other than speed)? I mostly shoot street photography and wonder if this would be a good use for this lens--"boheh" esp sharpness, etc? Will it work well on an DSLR? It appears to have been part of his film camera collection.

Will these resolve lenes listed above resolve well with with sensor and (no) anti-alias filter on the coming K-5 ii s?

Any suggestion for a fixed, reasonably fast appox 40-50 lens?

Also looking for a GPS unit for trip to Iceland and wondering if you have any suggestions.

Thanks Much,

Eric Brinjofsson

08-08-2013, 12:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome
That FA 31 lens is a superlative lens. A lot would love to have one of that perticular lens.

To see how all your lens rate go here and you can read about all Pentax lens and reviews of them :

Pentax Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
08-08-2013, 04:46 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry about your loss.

You seem to have gotten yourself some wonderful lenses. And as Bramela says, the 31 Ltd is perhaps the most highly regarded lens of them all among pentaxians.

Welcome to the forums!
08-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't think of any better tribute than using his obviously outstanding equipment. You'll really like the manual control the Pentax K5 series will give you.

All the FA line will be immediately usable on the digital Pentax bodies.

I think once you've used that FA31mm you might skip the 50mm fast lenses. The K5IIs increased resolution will be well-served with this lens. It will give you roughly the same view as a 50mm on a full-frame. The new DA 50mm f1.8 or the more expensive DA*55mm will be your best bets if you really want 50mm, though don't forget the used market here and the nice FA series lenses in that range.

08-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome, sorry for your loss, if we can help Pentax wise please don't hesitate to ask.