Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A returnee to the forum

Hello again,

I couldn't help myself from being drawn back to the forum having joined for a short period about five years ago. I left as I wasn't spending much time here, and find the typed form of communication a challenge.

To give you some background: I started my Pentax journey with a K10D in 2007, picked up the Sigma 10-20, then the FA50 and was hooked from there. I blame the 10-20 really as once I started using that lens all the money spent on magazines and online sources started to click. It was the start of a lens buying addiction, not quite LBA, but close enough. I'll expand on that later.

So after going wide I needed a fast lens, hence the 50, and after that I needed a fast zoom so picked up the DA* 50-135, then things get hazy. There was a hankering for a Limited, so I got the DA70, I found out about the reduction in price of the Sigma 28-70 2.8 oh, and I think I forgot to mention the second hand M28/2.8?

Somewhere in there I got excited about the K7 so I needed one of those. I was pretty happy with it too despite the reviews. From my persective I found it quite different to the K10D, and didn't like it to start with, but after more use and maybe realising I was just being loyal to the memories of the K10, I fully embraced the form of the K7.

One thing I wasn't over the moon about with the K7 was the noise. Certainly not the end of the world, and completely irrelevant at lower ISO etc, but really by now the K5 had been out a while and I needed an excuse to buy one. I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Anyhoo, about the time I was justifying to myself the absolute necessity of picking up a K5, I also decided that I needed to finally go longer than the 135 I had in my bag. Why? Well, I ride bikes, and I'm a fan of bike racing, so a DA*300 was soon on the way. Not content with that and feeling the rush that only can be had by a single man, I felt that I better buy that Zeiss 2/100 at B&H before someone else does. So I did.

And all was right with the world for several months until one day it was all taken from me by some mongrel thief. I'm glad that at least I was smart enough to insure all my gear, and miracle of miracles, I was even able to replace that Zeiss 2/100.

But after that I found an obsession with Zeiss glass. I now have five Zeiss ZK lenses and would be happy with more. I added an EES screen to the K5, and it's made all the difference for focusing with the Zeiss lenses.

So there you go, I'm an enthusiast who likes manual focus primes.

I am on Flickr here: Flickr: noompty's Photostream and can be found on the PPG too.

I look forward to contributing on the forum where I can, and being a part of the PF family again.

Hooroo

08-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back and thanks for the comprehensive intro.
08-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome back
08-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #4
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys.

08-11-2013, 02:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
I couldn't help myself from being drawn back to the forum having joined for a short period about five years ago.
Welcome back!

Just curious why you didn't sign in with your old account, rather than create a new account?
08-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
who likes manual focus primes
Welcome, what took you so long to get back?

Kinda like the primes myself too.
08-12-2013, 02:25 AM   #7
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
Welcome back!

Just curious why you didn't sign in with your old account, rather than create a new account?
Thanks for the welcome message. I actually tried my old account and it worked, so went with that instead of creating a new account.

08-12-2013, 02:27 AM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome, what took you so long to get back?

Kinda like the primes myself too.
Um...er....no excuses....guess I was just happy with lurking.
08-12-2013, 06:01 AM   #9

That's quite a journey! Funny how optical needs seem to multiply with a little "exposure" and desire. I'm sorry to hear of your loss but good that you had great insurance coverage! Welcome back to the forum.