Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2013, 09:02 AM - 1 Like   #1

"Jumping in" from Western NY!

Hi all,

I've stopped by and gleaned a lot of info from you over the past year or so but decided to make it "official" today. I'm "jumping in" from Western NY where we're fortunate to have lots of water (and Great Blue Herons). This juvie landed right in front of me a couple weeks ago and once I got over the fact that it more than filled the frame of my K5 with the Sigma 50-500 attached, I managed to get back off a bit and get a few decent shots.

Last night, I had issues with the K5 freezing up, as it has done a few times on me in the past. It's a whole long story and I might have to rehash with some of you, but after "resting" the K5 overnight, sans battery, I may be back in business...we'll see.

I tend not to post much--as much as I'd like to--I'm on a few other forums (same screen name) and just plain busy. Nonetheless, I appreciate all the info and helpful posters here!

Regards,
capturef22

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Forum Member

Hello & Welcome to the club!!!

As you will realize soon, this is a very nice place where people are extremely friendly and cooperative.

Keep posting and take care!!!

Warm greetings to Western NY!!!
08-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard, glad you found your voice after a while.
08-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome! And hope your camera will rid itself of that, ehm, cold...

08-12-2013, 05:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all. Unfortunately, the K5's "cold" got a little worse--for a while--yesterday. P'raps will post about on another section, but it's definitely curbing my enthusiasm for this particular K5...
08-12-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Welcome from CNY. I guess that I am fortunate that in the year and a half that I have owned my K-5 it has only frozen once, when the battery was getting low and I was in the hot sun...

Where was the heron pic taken? Most of mine are at Montezuma, but Sterling Nature Center has a rookery...

Sterling Nature Center - Apr 28, 2013 - a set on Flickr

Montezuma NWR & Audubon May 04, 2013 - a set on Flickr

Aug 11, 2013 - Montezuma NWR - a set on Flickr

08-13-2013, 07:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi boriscleto! Nice photos on your Flickr site! This particular heron was taken at a pond outside of Jamestown. Earlier this spring I "discovered" the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge. GREAT for herons and egrets during the migration. There are also two nesting pair of bald eagles, though I've only seen one of them. It's probably a little out of your way, but it might be well worth the trip at the right time of year.

Cheers!
08-13-2013, 07:55 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by capturef22 Quote
Hi boriscleto! Nice photos on your Flickr site! This particular heron was taken at a pond outside of Jamestown. Earlier this spring I "discovered" the Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge. GREAT for herons and egrets during the migration. There are also two nesting pair of bald eagles, though I've only seen one of them. It's probably a little out of your way, but it might be well worth the trip at the right time of year.

Cheers!
Yeah, it's 130 miles to Iroquois. It's only 40 miles to Montezuma...

Montezuma is so extensive that I've only scratched the surface. Most of the time I don't get any further than the wildlife drive or the Montezuma Audubon Center in Savannah. Sunday was the first time I've ever been to the Van Dyne Spoor marsh in Savannah, and I haven't even been to Howland's Island yet...

I have a book published some year ago by the local Audubon, it lists 40+ placed to go birding in CNY. I've been to about 4 of them...one of them is literally a mile from my house, and I have yet to go there...

Last edited by boriscleto; 08-13-2013 at 08:03 AM.