Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

Hello - Pentax K-5 Banding issue

I am a long time Pentax user and have had my K-5 for over a year. Last week I did some photography at Kenilworth
Aquatic Gardens in Washington, D.C. A few of my images that were taken in full sun with the FA 35mm 2.0 had banding issues (see attachment) in the blue area of the sky. Other images taken from sun sheltered locations did not show the banding. I did not use a lens hood when taking my images.

Note that the banding is clearly visible in the RAW files as well (I use Faststone as my image processor).

Is this a camera related issue or something else.

Thanks for any input/suggestions.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-12-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
JPG pixelation. All Faststone is probably showing you is the JPG preview embedded in the RAW.

Open the RAW in Pentax Digital Camera Utility or Lightroom (or another proper RAW processor) and see how it looks there.
08-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I believe it's what rawr has said, let us know how you get on with another raw processor.
08-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your help.

08-13-2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Just to confirm what Kerrowdown has noted - when the camera saves a RAW image in DNG or PEF format, a small JPEG 'preview' or 'thumbnail' image is also written automatically into the RAW file. This preview image is a small rendering of the image, based on the current JPEG settings of the camera.

That small 'preview' JPEG image forms the basis of what you see on your rear LCD when reviewing photos in camera, I believe, even when you are just shooting DNG/PEF, and it is also often used by software on your computer (eg FastStone) to speed up the display of images on your computer when you browse them, unless you configure the program to directly attempt to render the RAW file.

Even full-size JPG images themselves will have a small 'preview' JPG embedded in them, I believe. You can extract the JPG preview image from RAWs and JPG's using tools like exiftool and some other EXIF readers and graphics tools.
08-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
This was a good learning experience for me.
Many of your comments were similar to the ones made by a tech rep at Pentax USA.
Fortunately the situation that occurred with my images reportedly is not common.
And of course I am happy that there is no problem with my K-5.