Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2008, 05:04 AM   #1

Greetings from Ottawa, Canada

Hi there, friends!

I'm Michael from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Actually I'm new to Pentax, new to (D)SLR and new to Canada. Originally I come from Belarus, eastern Europe. I'm a computer programmer, a FOSS/Linux fan.

Before going into DSLR I used to play a lot with ultra-zooms, tripods and techniques... kinda was playing "real photography". Well, I ended up having good family member portraits, above averga group shots, a couple of mediocre macros, several poor panoramas and ... that's it. I felt I need DSLR: external bounce flash, 12 bit raw for processing, good sensitivity and dynamic range etc. After doing my homework and looking for the best value for my hard-earned buck I came to Pentax. My K10D kit and 50/1.4 are on their way.

Being a Linux guy, I plan to develop raw, edit and store photos solely in Linux with the free tools available. If anyone is also a Linux fan and/or lives in Ottawa region we might have a lot in common -- please contact me!

Cheers,
Michael.

03-23-2008, 01:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum.

You're gonna like to be here
03-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #3

Welcome to the party Michael !!!

Myself as well is from Ottawa as you can tell by the name! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here! I do not know anything in regards to linux aside that it is an OS, but I do however shoot with the K10D's !!!!

ciao for now,

Tim
03-24-2008, 05:26 AM   #4
tdb

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OttawaPhotog Quote
Welcome to the party Michael !!!

Myself as well is from Ottawa as you can tell by the name! I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay here! I do not know anything in regards to linux aside that it is an OS, but I do however shoot with the K10D's !!!!

ciao for now,

Tim
BTW, are you a member of some sort of a local photo club? Is there anything a pentaxian needs to know in Ottawa, like dealer locations etc.?

I live near the Algonqin College square and you are welcome to drop in for a cup of tee ;-)
Cheers!
Michael.

03-24-2008, 06:58 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by tdb Quote
BTW, are you a member of some sort of a local photo club? Is there anything a pentaxian needs to know in Ottawa, like dealer locations etc.?

I live near the Algonqin College square and you are welcome to drop in for a cup of tee ;-)
Cheers!
Michael.
I am a part of the RA Photo Club, you can check it out here if you want RA Photo Club . Aside from making smart purchases on Ebay, I do make most of my purchases at Henrys, as they are usually able to bring the prices down a little bit lower than what is listed. I think they have a new location on Hunt Club now.

Tim
03-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome Mike from Ottawa - remember the Canadians sign up here thread. Kinda keeps us Canucks in one place.
03-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey I run solely linux myself, you will have no problems finding software to do what you need. Welcome to the pentax club
03-24-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mike, welcome to Canada and welcome to the Pentax forum. I am sure you will have a lot of fun here.

03-24-2008, 10:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums. Good to see the contingent from Ottawa growing....
03-25-2008, 04:43 AM   #10
tdb

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
Welcome Mike from Ottawa - remember the Canadians sign up here thread. Kinda keeps us Canucks in one place.
Uhm... where it that "Canucks" thread?
03-25-2008, 05:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Here you go Michael: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/19601-canadians-sign-up-h...s-welcome.html