Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2013, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #1

Hey there! New to film from South Carolina

Hey there! The site said to introduce myself, so here I am. Last week I bought a Pentax. I suppose I'll start off with why; In my generation, the "cool" thing is for teens to have dslrs(or their smartphones), and for them to blast away social media with their "masterpieces"....consisting of primarily pictures of them in the mirror, or pictures of their food (on full auto of course). To me, that doesn't really cut it. Photography is something I've always loved, and appreciated as ART, and not as a platform to take thousands of 14 mp pictures of my social life, to try to promote an artificially positive image of myself. Photography like this in my opinion, is kinda an insult to those who actually know the craft, and who have spent countless hours either in a dark room, or learning how to use these elaborate new dslrs, that many many a teenagers are taking for granted and using like a point and shoot. We have this great technology, yet it's being dumbed down to a very low level. It's like using a Ferrari JUST to drive up and down your street. Whew. I'm ranting. Anyway...I felt like the photography I encountered in my life, was too quickly taken, with too little thought. And in some ways, I was afraid that could happen to me as well if I was to get a dslr. So I decided to slow down, to step backwards, to actually try and learn how a camera works, and to attempt to find what it takes to get a great photo. I thought a 35 mm film pecamera would be the way to go, especially a fully manual camera. I saw a craigslist ad for an Asahi K1000 with 3 lenses, 4 filters, and some books for around 100$, so I jumped on it. I've only put 4 rolls of film through it, and I've been trying to read all I can about it, but books only do so much. I was ecstatic to find this forum, and I look forward to the wealth of knowledge available. Any tips or thoughts with 35 mm film, or the k1000 would be appreciated. Sorry for the long post!

08-16-2013, 03:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! Learning on a K1000 is an excellent idea as it forces you to focus on the basics rather than being distracted by all the flashy options of a DSLR. After all, it's the basics that make or break a picture.
08-16-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, great story and nice to hear about a young photographer choosing to go the old fashioned route -- of course we oldsters didn't have the choice! But, now as then, there's something magical about the process of making images with a film camera. DSLRs have their own magic, but it's more or less the same magic you get in every other piece of electronics these days, so doesn't seem quite so special. Still, once you get the basics you'll have the choice; plenty of members here use both. Check out the Film SLR forum and Flim Processing forum as well as the rest of the site, enjoy!
08-16-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter

What a terrific introduction!

And what wisdom, too.

I, for one, would be delighted to help in any way I can to further your growth in photography. I hope you are not shy about posting your images and sharing your questions in the various forums (everybody here is friendly).

Welcome to Pentaxia!

08-16-2013, 10:17 AM   #5

Hello

Welcome! I hope you will learn the basis with the K1000, one of the student's camera. Try, experiment, repeat some shoots until you feel comfortable with your gear. You are true when you say that photography is not to point and shoot. When you use films, you take more time to shoot but the results will you pay back (especially B&W) if you reach the equilibria.
08-16-2013, 01:39 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, when ranting please remember to breath.
08-16-2013, 03:48 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses. I put the film in to get developed today
08-16-2013, 05:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Watzon Quote
Thanks for the responses. I put the film in to get developed today
Congratulations! Film is great, basics: thought--what do you see, how to capture that--more thought, do it and learn from it. I love film still, and digital. Most of the older people learned on film, including in the darkroom. Digital is a leap, but in today's technology, maybe not as much as it seems. Have fun, the instrument serves the vision, always.
David

08-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K1000... I started with one long ago and still have one with a roll in it now ... please post us an image or two later ... J
08-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
Still waiting for them to get developed. Who knew it could take so long? I'll put some up once I get them
08-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Welcome, and I'm glad I read your post! I also got a K1000, mostly because I wanted the lens, and I'm going through my first film on it.

One thing I've already learned is that there is no reason why a K-1000 is just a "student camera". It's as good a camera as 35mm cameras can be, as far as results - since a fancier SLR will not give you better pictures than what you have - the picture quality comes from the film and lenses. The camera's job is to get out of the way - literally

I would go for cheaper film and cheaper developing to start, and spend more money once you know what you are doing. I'm sure that's what you're going for already So I'm not buying Ektar or Portra film just yet, I'll be trying some cheap Kodak Gold first. Also, while learning I plan to shoot one roll and develop, then go to the next one, without letting them sit by while I shoot new ones. If I made mistakes, I'd rather know sooner rather than later It does help that we have a film developing store not too far from where I work. They just opened less than a year ago, I hope they'll do well.

Post something once you got it!
08-28-2013, 10:38 AM   #12
Pentaxian

So. Did you ever get those rolls developed?