Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2013, 07:26 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Greetings!!!

Hello all! Been using the site for a while for lens reviews and general comments about lenses while I was working to build a kit for my budget.

Short History - I never was really interested in photography in the past. I just didn't bother taking pictures. On the few occasions I did, I was told I was good at it, but thought nothing of it.

Last year, I began hiking a lot and realized that there were so many things I was seeing that I wanted to capture, so I went and bought what I thought to be a decent, semi-cheap, point and shoot. I knew absolutely nothing of photography and wanted something to take the pictures for me.

While I loved taking the pictures and was getting many compliments on them, I realized right away that I did not have the control I wanted over the focus and depth of field (though the term was not familiar to me yet).

Around mid to late May, as my daughter's birthday was approaching, she asked for a camera like mine, and I used it as an excuse to buy myself a new one and give her my barely-used point and shoot.

The camera arrived the last week or so in May and I've fallen in love with every aspect of photography. The longer I've had it, the more I realize how often I look at things around me like I'm framing and focusing it for a photo...that I have always looked at things that way. I have also realized how it can do things I've always wanted to do, like see things close up and highlight things in ways I've wanted to see them.

I decided on a Pentax K-30 because of the versatility with lenses, camera specs vs price, and weather performance. I am VERY happy with it.

So anyway, I've picked up a bunch of lenses and have been trying them out and plan on trying to give back to the community by adding my opinions on the reviews sections and showing some of the photos I've taken.

I have a Flickr account if anyone is interested. I am not able to get to the link right now because my work blocks it, but the name on there is 'Noskovus', just like here.

Thanks and hello again!!!

08-16-2013, 08:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome aboard! I'm blocked from FLickr at work, too... Look for TER-OR

Find an inexpensive M50 and have fun with manual modes.
08-16-2013, 08:57 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Welcome aboard! I'm blocked from FLickr at work, too... Look for TER-OR

Find an inexpensive M50 and have fun with manual modes.
I've tried autofocus a handful of times. Not sure I've gotten a photo that's ever excited me from using it. I shoot entirely manual almost all the time (I'd say at least 99%). I occasionally let the camera control ISO and/or Shutter to help when I'm taking a lot of shots in changing light, but I try and avoid that. Otherwise, I have turned off most of the corrective/automatic features in the camera in an attempt to learn how to really take photographs.

I am already looking to get a 35mm camera at some point and play with that and have even started looking into Medium Format and 4x6 cameras and setups.

Last edited by Noskovus; 08-16-2013 at 10:55 AM.
08-16-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome abroad, enjoy both the forum and your new K-30.

08-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #5

Original Poster
Flickr account here: Flickr: noskovus' Photostream
08-17-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-30 ... J