Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 07:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Ahoy From Maine.

My Dad, who was an avid photographer, taught us the basics of photography with an old 126 double lens reflex and how to develop and print in the closet. When I joined the Army in '67 I kept it up as best I could and eventually picked up a Pentax "Spotmatic" camera which I really liked and used until it eventually conked out beyond repair. That was replaced with a used K-1000 with a through the lens light meter. It was built like a tank and served me well until I got a digital camera as a gift. No more waiting to use up a roll of 35mm and get it developed (which was even then getting expensive); I never looked back and the K-1000 was retired to the closet. There were things that the pocket digital just couldn't do, however, and I kind of missed the artistic flexibility that the slr provided. DSLRs were just too expensive for us to afford, so I contented myself with the little PENTAX Optio W80 for taking snapshots and such. I don't think I ever figured out all of it's features, but can puzzle out the basics. Some time ago I took to wondering if my old K-1000 lenses could be used on a digital body, so that I might set something up in my price range. Opinions seemed to vary, but recently found some online commentary which indicated that, with a little adjustment, (I'll say!) they could - I'd just be stuck with doing everything manually, which is what I used to do with the K1000 to begin with. If I want automatic, I'll just revert back to the pocket sized W80. In shopping around Amazon.com I found a used K-100D which seems like the digital progeny of the K-1000 and an entry level camera. I ordered it for less than $300 and figure the lenses are "free" since I'm not using them any more. I used to have several of them but can only find two now; a 50 and 135mm Asahai. Might have given the others away when we moved about 8 years ago. See my FB posting with pictures from Aug. 14 2013 @: https://www.facebook.com/unclejaque

08-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-100D (I started with a K-1000 and started digital with a K110D) ... please post us an image or two soon ... J
08-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, great intro, this is Pentax recycling at its best with older lens usage.
08-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Great story Jaque. Looks like you have a nice place there, too. I love Maine, been there off and on since I was 15, and trying to get there regularly again now, any time of year, it just feels like home for me. I just had a Spottie reconditioned, but mostly shoot digital, and like you am still learning the details. Have fun with it, and welcome, lots of great information and photos here.
David

08-18-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
It took about a whole day studying the manual before I could get the shutter to trip - then everything came out all blue.
Another hour or two and I figured out how to set the "White balance" - but still some shots come out with too much of a yellow cast. Do I have to re set the balance every now and then?
I can't figure out how to set the f-stop or shutter speed, despite pondering over the manual. It just won't work. Adjusting the aperture ring on the lens seems to have no effect at all. Some pics come out way overexposed and some way underexposed, while sometimes I get lucky and get a decent picture. This is driving me a little nutz!

If I'm shooting a close up 5 or 6" away, I get about a millimeter of focal depth; anything closer or further away is a blur. That's getting pretty frustrating, too.

A local adult education program is offering a course on digital photography - maybe I'd better take it!

I really miss some of the features on my old K-1000 - like through the lens metering so I had a clue as to whether my shot was going to come out or not.
08-18-2013, 07:04 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Tried to post pictures but they just don't work.
Let's try this: