Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings ^.^v

Hello! My names is Sintar and I am new here. I have had my Pentax K-5 II for almost a month. I enjoy photography more as a hobby, I enjoy taking pictures of Landscapes, Macro shots, and night photography. I am also an avid astronomer. I currently only own the kit lens 18-55mm with my new camera. I am interested in what lenses would be good to purchase in the future for day time Landscape photos and Macro shots. Any and all help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

08-19-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-5ii and the D FA 100/2.8 Macro WR is really great (SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) .... and please post us an image or two soon ... J
08-19-2013, 11:28 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you very much! I will add that lens to my list! I already posted a couple photos in my own album.
08-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome!

QuoteOriginally posted by Sintar Quote
I enjoy taking pictures of Landscapes, Macro shots, and night photography. I am also an avid astronomer. I currently only own the kit lens 18-55mm with my new camera. I am interested in what lenses would be good to purchase in the future for day time Landscape photos and Macro shots.
QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-5ii and the D FA 100/2.8 Macro WR is really great (SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Reviews - D FA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database) .... and please post us an image or two soon ... J
The DFA 100 WR is your best option, if you want Weather Resistance. Otherwise you should also look at a few other options, e.g.:
Sigma 70mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro
Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 Di Macro

However, the long macros aren't too versatile for landscapes, maybe the Pentax 35mm f/2.8 Limited Macro is an option for you.
The short working distance may be a problem for some subjects, though.

If you're looking for a versatile zoom lens with close-up (not quite macro) abilities, you should give these two a look:
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro (max. magnification: 1:2.3)
Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.0 DC Macro HSM (Contemporary) (max. magnification: 1:2.9)

As a walk-around zoom for landscapes and night photography, I'd suggest one of these:
Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR LD Aspherical IF SP
Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM

If you're looking for primes, you should first figure out which focal lengths work best for you.
If you have already heard the Limiteds' siren call, you might as well go for it. You'll eventually end up there anyway...

regards
Jan

08-19-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I'll just welcome you, as I know nothing about astronomy type stuff.

Apart from watching in disbelief the late Sir Patrick Moore, discus enormous distances measured in light years as if the were just around the corner.
08-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I'll just welcome you, as I know nothing about astronomy type stuff.

Apart from watching in disbelief the late Sir Patrick Moore, discus enormous distances measured in light years as if the were just around the corner.
Kerrow Down-Patrick Moore was amazing!! I loved his show in BBC The Sky at Night-and of course his awesome monocle!!
Boris- Thank you soo much for all the advice, I will look into all of them soon!
« Hi | Hello from NYC »