Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #1

Howdy from Alice Springs, Australia

I almost forgot to do this when I registered as a PF member. I've just bought my K-5 in the last few months, and finally decided to join the community rom one of the most remote towns on Earth. Cheers!

08-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Amazing! Greetings from one of most crowded cities on Earth - London - I would gladly switch with you (unless you are living in a desert .
You will have a great time both using your new gear and wandering around these forums - and please, do post some photos from that remote area of yours !
08-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #3

Original Poster
I will indeed manntax, it's only a matter of time before school ends and I have the ability to shoot far more often. And thanks for the warm welcome!
PS (I live in one of the most arid places in Australia)
08-23-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bonjour from France and welcome to PF ... enjoy the K-5 and post an image or two soon ... J

08-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
PS (I live in one of the most arid places in Australia)
Well I see at least two advantages then:
1) I don't have to pack my stuff
2) You have really *unique* opportunities there for some dramatic shoots I believe so I am looking forward to seeing your part of the Earth
08-23-2013, 09:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

G'Day & welcome to PF Joshua. I was almost posted to The Alice by the USAF back in the 90s but sadly the assignment was cancelled and I ended up in the Azores. Just as remote, but not near as interesting I'd wager.

Mike
08-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Joshua A Quote
one of the most arid places in Australia
Welcome to the forum, least you wont have damp mould issues with your lenses.
08-24-2013, 01:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manntax Quote
Well I see at least two advantages then:
1) I don't have to pack my stuff
2) You have really *unique* opportunities there for some dramatic shoots I believe so I am looking forward to seeing your part of the Earth
Well, yes indeed, there are many dramatic places, but seeing as summer is coming up, and the K5 is rated up to only 40C, I mightn't be able to use my camera much for 3ish months. Also, about not needing to pack stuff, my father has just gifted me with a few old lenses(Sigma 80-200mm, Pentax-A 50mm, Pentax-A 35-105) and two film bodies(MG and K1000), and other than having a few scruffs from years of use, the only problem was the dust, seeing they had been in storage for more than 10 years.

08-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
G'Day & welcome to PF Joshua. I was almost posted to The Alice by the USAF back in the 90s but sadly the assignment was cancelled and I ended up in the Azores. Just as remote, but not near as interesting I'd wager.

Mike
Well, that is part of the reason that I am in Alice Springs. My grandfather was stationed at Palm Valley, and ended up staying in Alice for the next 30 years. Also, I have been to the Azores, but being the largest town in a 1000km radius and only having a population of 30,000, it can get pretty dull. Quite a few Pentax film shooters here though!
08-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, least you wont have damp mould issues with your lenses.
My father, who lived in Darwin previously, said he had to get his cameras and lenses detailed every few months in order to stop mould growth in his lenses. I concur, seeing as dust is slightly less volatile than water/mould.
08-24-2013, 01:48 AM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
Also, because you guys wanted me to upload some photos, here are some. Hope these aren't to bad!

Last edited by Joshua A; 08-27-2014 at 07:57 AM.
08-24-2013, 01:56 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Welcome! Lovely night shot of Simpson Gap.

I lived in Alice Springs for six months in 1996, and visited as an undergraduate tourist twice in the 80's. I trust as a local you know some of the less well-known beauty spots further out; Redbank Gorge and Mt Sonder, Serpentine Gorge and Ormiston Gorge are absolutely amazing. Getting through Redbank and Serpentine will make WR gear very useful....
08-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Welcome! Lovely night shot of Simpson Gap.

I lived in Alice Springs for six months in 1996, and visited as an undergraduate tourist twice in the 80's. I trust as a local you know some of the less well-known beauty spots further out; Redbank Gorge and Mt Sonder, Serpentine Gorge and Ormiston Gorge are absolutely amazing. Getting through Redbank and Serpentine will make WR gear very useful....
Well, I can bring up some beautiful spots off the top of my head, such as Palm Valley, Ross River, Mt Zeil, Birthday Waterhole and the like, but because of my Yr12 studies, I find it hard to find time to go out and take photos.