Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2013, 09:57 AM   #1

Introduction: WB&Joy

Hi; We are a pair of retirees and are not real tech savvy. We got a Pentax K10D about seven years ago, but various events caused us to put it aside until now. So, we are now ready to start learning how to use it. We hope this is the place to get our questions answered. Since the only tags & threads that we have are in our closet, please excuse us as we dive into all this new tech stuff.

08-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #2

Original Poster
Our camera came with a software disk ( S-SW55 ) that has the Pentax Photo Browser 3 & Laboratory 3 on it. Due to its age, we wonder if we should load this in the computer first and then look for updates; or, should we go to a Pentax site and try to download the latest version?
08-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome This is a good place to learn!

I'm not too familiar with the different software products from Pentax, but it seems the way go is to install what came with the camera and then download any updates from here:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/digital/photo3_win.html

Good luck with your K10d!
08-24-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome! The K10D was a great camera when it came out, and so it remains; even though I now have a K-5, I still use the K10D for some things. Just used it yesterday, in fact. I couldn't tell you about the software, but savoche's advice sounds good. Enjoy!

08-25-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the K-10 and hope to see an image or two soon ... J
08-28-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome. its a great camera, enjoy both this site and your photography.
08-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome!

Hello WB&Joy, Welcome to the Forum!
I have a K10D also, and although it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of my K-7, I still use it regularly. It is built to last and can be dead-simple to use, once you figure out a few switches and dials. If you want the camera to make all the exposure decisions, just set the Mode dial (on the left side, top) to 'P' for program and click away! After that you may want to try Av (aperture priority) and perhaps 'M' full manual.
I'd suggest you download a free online photo app for processing and filing your photos. Otherwise they tend to get scrambled and hard-to-find, the digital equivalent of a shoebox full of snapshots! A good starter app is 'Picasa', easy to use, whether you're just filing by date, cropping a bit or more extensive photo processing (PP, in the new jargon).
Good Luck!
Ron