Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-26-2013, 10:54 AM   #1

Vince from Central MA with a K-30

Hi there, so I have been a point and shoot guy all my life up until now. i started to want to get into photography a bit. Not to make money but just for fun as a hobby. I researched and ended up buying a K-30 with a 18-55 WR lens. I am still new and learning what aperature, shutter speed, ISO is, etc.

I picked the K-30 over the T3i and T4i based on the reviews. So far I am happy with it but I find that because I am a novice at this I am intimidated by the camera and what it can do.

Any recommendations to how/where/what I can do to? I would like to be able to learn and practice until I master this thing. Anyone from the central MA area?

Vince

08-26-2013, 11:21 AM   #2

1. Enjoy the amazing weather sealing of the camera!!!! It is truly great.
2. I went in the menu and searched every single option in the camera on the forum/google to know its functionality, and I am happy i did so.
3. Remember when shooting in Raw and Raw+ some in camera processing become unavailable, but shooting raw opens a lot more doors to post process on the computer.
4. practice, practice, practice! Have fun and Enjoy the great camera.

5- Lenses you might wanna consider : M50 F1.7 (50-60$) its a manual lens and truly amazing one at that, its a lot of fun to play with a iconic manual prime from pentax
also a 55-300 DA (the DA-L version feels cheap imo) the DA is about 280-330$ used on the forums or on KEH.com.... totally worth it and you'd have a good zoom range covered.
then remains the Ultra Wide Angle if youre into those....

6- Have a good time experimenting, i found that part to be my biggest and still is my biggest fun with the K-5.
08-26-2013, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hondaguy28 Quote
Hi there, so I have been a point and shoot guy all my life up until now. i started to want to get into photography a bit. Not to make money but just for fun as a hobby. I researched and ended up buying a K-30 with a 18-55 WR lens. I am still new and learning what aperature, shutter speed, ISO is, etc.

I picked the K-30 over the T3i and T4i based on the reviews. So far I am happy with it but I find that because I am a novice at this I am intimidated by the camera and what it can do.

Any recommendations to how/where/what I can do to? I would like to be able to learn and practice until I master this thing. Anyone from the central MA area?

Vince
Hello & Welcome,

You made the right decision. The art of photography is not as intimidating as it seems. Once you know the basics of exposure, viz., the relation between aperture, shutter speed, and ISO you have come a long way. In the digital age, the method of trial and error costs next to nothing, so just go out and shoot away. If you would like something theoretical, these are the books I would recommend:

(i) This may well be the only reference guide you will ever need. Do not read it cover to cover. Just look up the relevant parts by means of the index whenever you are at a loss in regard to a matter:

Complete Digital Photography: Ben Long: 0082039559445: Amazon.com: Books

(ii) This book is dated, but was written by a Pentaxian. It contains hundreds of excellent photos, and the exposure data are indicated:

The New Manual of Photography: John Hedgecoe: 9780789496379: Amazon.com: Books

(iii) This book has plenty of ideas, if you ever wish to explore strobe photography:

The Flash Photography Field Guide: Shaping the light to suit your photographs: Adam Duckworth: 9780240824246: Amazon.com: Books

Dom
08-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forums! You've got yourself a great camera, so that's a good start.

Understanding ISO, aperture, and shutter speed and the effects of changing each is the most important. Using an old all-manual lens might help in the process.

Other than that, go out and shoot lots. Look at pictured, your own and others, and try to formulate why you like or don't like them.

Oh, and I'm a long way away from MA.

08-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #5

HondaGuy, you'll quickly find out that the community here is amongst the most friendly ones on internet haha, any questions ask away everyone wants to help
08-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #6

Original Poster
Wow. Thanks so much everyone for the overwhelming responses. :-) I am so glad that I found this forum.
I'll definitely be practicing shooting with my K-30 and I will be back with questions about additional lenses and possibly an external TTL flash.
I'm definitely glad I got this Pentax and I am sure that once I understand it a bit more and start getting good results I will be pleased with it.
Best to all.
Vince
08-28-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy your K-30 and please post us some of your images ... J
08-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome and enjoy that new camera, you'll soon grow into it.

08-28-2013, 01:50 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This site helped me when I was starting out not too long ago:

http://improvephotography.com/best-of-improve-photography/

His explanation of how ISO, Aperture and Shutter Speed work together made sense to me and I was shooting on manual in no time.

Good luck!