Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2013, 10:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
New (old) Guy says Howdy from AZ

Good morning! What a fantastic board! Thought I'd take the time to say howdy! I think I have a new addiction, hope this is the right place, LOL.
I've been away from photography a...while. Growing up in the 60's-70's it was a passion. I'm sure my mom HATED the darkroom I had...once. But it kept little Dubious out of trouble...sort of.

Back when, slinging ice cream at a local hangout I made a whopping buck ten an hour which enabled me to buy my first SLR, a Mamiya DTL 1000 because I couldn't quite afford the Pentax I lusted over. Later I moved (up?) to a Canon A-1 and that was my camera until life took me in other directions. I've been out of photography for a while, snapshots with a powershot or the camera in my phone...y'all can relate I'm sure. That Canon hasn't been out in a...while.

Lately, maybe getting close to retirement sparked it, I've developed an interest in digital media which of course led right back to...photography. Wanting to get a REAL DSLR, I did some shopping. Oh yeah, those new-hottest DSLR's with all the bells-whistles-coolio features with mega-megapixels are really nice but 99.9% of the features I wouldn't use and can't appreciate because...I'm new. Again.

Sooo, I started looking for something simple to learn DSLR. I went to the big-box stores to look and fondle but when it came to buying I found the little local guys were the place. Stumbled on to a used Nikon D50 which was styled PERFECTLY for my left-handedness AND, was simple enough that I felt really comfortable with it. REAL comfy. Yeah, I really like that Nikon...but.

It just so happens my camera guy also has a very nice selection of used film cameras. And sitting on the shelf was a Pentax K1000 SE, brown no less in beautiful shape. And the price was VERY right....that came home with me that day because it was THE Pentax I couldn't afford as a kid.
My first outing I took the Nikon and the K1000. Used them both but only the K1000 sent shivers down my spine every time that sweet, buttery smooth shutter went 'click' in the way ONLY a Pentax K1000 can. Can you say...l-o-v-e!

So I found myself back at my favorite camera guy looking at lenses; picked up a nice Soligor 85-205 macro, big, heavy but I really like the setup and you just GOTTA have lenses (or at least I do) and of course, there was this poor homeless, unloved almost-twin to my old Mamiya, a 500TL with a BUNCH of lenses and accessories...reasonable. Yeah, that came home too but I'm saving that (and the roll of Ilford B&W) for a special outing in the near future.

So I go to drop off a roll of film the other day...there sits a Pentax ME Super. Now, I remember the ME; when I was able to afford a good camera which ended up being a Canon A-1 I looked at the ME back when, wanted it because it was Pentax (and you know the why of that) but I thought the auto exposure was silly. So I went with the Canon. I didn't remember the super but I have internet...and google (and a silly smart phone) and the more I read about that ME Super the more I went hmmm...

So I went back, mainly because I wanted the LENS that was on that super, a 50/1.2. Silly me, that lens was actually on an elderly Spotmatic (screw mount). I decided to get the ME super anyway....AND the Spotmatic because that poor homeless little thing lost her home and looked sad, not having anyone to baby her and take pictures with her and appreciate good solid Pentax construction and quality. Yeah, Puppies have the same effect on me.

Right there, I popped in a roll of Fuji that just 'happened' to be in my bag (remember, I just went there to drop off a roll of film from the K1000) I spent the rest of my day happily snapping away with the ME and falling in love deeper and deeper with every click of the shutter (it might be, that click on the ME is even sexier than the K1000 but don't tell her I said that. She's still a little miffed I made her stay home because I have a small camera bag)
Wow. BIG viewfinder.

Wow, I'm REALLY liking the different auto/manual and that weird side graph they put in there is actually growing on me!
(And I'm a guy who's been shooting his Nikon on Manual mostly and wishes it had a needle meter just like the K1000...then that Nikon would be perfect) And if you could put the Mamiya spot metering in there too....

In short, what a SWEET camera! Who knew an old fart could have so much FUN fooling around with film cameras, re-learning DOF, exposure, composition, etc...and of course my Nikon seems a bit...grumpy. Have to take HER out for a ride, I guess...

And I'm REALLY afraid to go to ANY camera store for fear I might spy one of those Pentax DSLR's that I've been reading about on this most ECXELLENT site!
(Am I an addict or is this normal?!?)

08-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... nice intro and enjoy your Pentax gear ... all is normal and hope to see a future image or two ... J
08-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome

Yeah, you're an addict, but around here that's quite normal...!
08-29-2013, 02:23 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, wow that's some intro, I feel I've known you for years already.

Good to have you here.

08-29-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is NOT the place to be when you are fighting the addiction of photography. When I got here I had just bought a camera. Now I have 14 lenses plus 2 additional film cameras.
Run while you can
08-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
A rapturous love letter if I've ever read one. Welcome (and welcome back). Enjoy, and share when you get the chance.